What should my temp be?

adz

Reaction score
I just downloaded the temp widget and its saying my temperatures are 37 degrees Celsius on the smart disc and 60 degrees Celsius for the cpu.

And for some reason I have 2 of the temp widgets (identical showing up) when I click the dashboard button - why is this?

cheers

Reaction score
My desktop PC showed 60° C when my heatsink wasn't secured, but now it's usually around 45° C. Then again, Apple doesn't seem to believe in proper cooling...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
A lot easier to cool a desktop case than a laptop, and well.. unless you have a macpro, it's essentially a laptop in form factor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My desktop PC showed 60° C when my heatsink wasn't secured, but now it's usually around 45° C. Then again, Apple doesn't seem to believe in proper cooling...

By desktop PC are you referring to a PC or an iMac? Because an iMac is in reality a notebook machine standing vertically. And any loosely fitting heat sink whether it's fitted for a CPU or a high powered audio output transistor, will not properly dissipate heat.

Your statement above about "Apple doesn't seem to believe in proper cooling" doesn't make sense. Apple machines are among the finest engineered in the world. You need to substantiate that statement with facts, not conjecture.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
proper cooling are big old Noctua fans at every end of the case and on the CPU ;) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
proper cooling are big old Noctua fans at every end of the case and on the CPU ;) :D
Bah, must cool the chassis through the case using air handlers pumping air through the raised floor. Or liquid cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
adz what machine do you have makes a difference in response. A FW800 1.25DP G4, which are reputedly hot hot hot machines, running currently at CPU 36.3 degrees and it is a warm summer's day here in Australia.

Apple's CHUD Tools version 3.5.2 or later is the answer to many heating problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
From my experience, PCs, especially self-built ones, typically run a little cooler than Macs (and then again, it depends on the model), although Apple does get a lot of points for incorporating quiet, stylish and highly-efficient cooling systems.

Reaction score
By desktop PC are you referring to a PC or an iMac?
I'm talking about an actual desktop PC that I built.

Your statement above about "Apple doesn't seem to believe in proper cooling" doesn't make sense. Apple machines are among the finest engineered in the world.
I'm just saying that Apple has made a lot of poorly cooled computers. The iBook G3 in particular had a terrible problem where the GPU got hot enough to de-solder itself from the board. And if I remember correctly, either the 1G or 2G iMacs had no fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
There was also the first-gen MacBook Pro, where Apple decided that the right approach to thermal paste was to haphazardly hurl large gobs of it at the computer while it was being built, resulting in a massive overheating issue across the entire line since apparently someone didn't tell Apple that more is not always better. And as if that wasn't enough, I hear the Late 2008 MacBook Pro can double as a grill.

More on topic, though, your temp looks fine assuming it's a notebook... maybe a bit warm on the CPU side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.