Red light from audio jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I have an aluminium macbook, i have put windows XP on it, everything was working fine, then i updated bootcamp to the 2.1 update on the apple website and since then i have had a red light coming from the audio jack, i have never had anything plugged in to it and now i have no sound at all.

Anyone able to offer any advice other than what i read about sticking something in the socket as i dont fancy breaking it even further!

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just use a toothpick (i prefer wood or plastic to sticking something metal in there) or something similar - you're not going to jab it in there trying to break something - just takes a little tickle in the right spot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I thought it was like that digital audio thing or something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Strange, I've never had that happen before. What's the story behind that, Tom?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I have fixed it now, i wasnt keen on the matchstick or toothpick approach since nothing has ever been in the socket.

I uninstalled the realtek audio from add/remove programs, i uninstalled bootcamp.

Then i restarted. Then put in the OSX 10.5 cd that has all the original bootcamp stuff in it. This reinstalled everything basically and i assume a different version of the realtek driver from the updated one on the mac website.

Only thing is it wouldnt install the ethernet controller this time, think ill just rebuild it when i get back to work on monday but at least the audio works now!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Strange, I've never had that happen before. What's the story behind that, Tom?

Once in awhile the digital out gets stuck in the on position. I've only had it happen once on mine (probably a good two years ago).

Typically it's after you've had a device plugged into the port. The ones I've seen with the issue (and the same on mine), plugging the headphones/whatever back into the port does not turn it off. I just used a toothpick, slid it in tight to one side of the port, one time, it turned it off and have never had it happen again. Experienced no ill effects from it either and I go back and forth between analog and digital out quite often.

This is the first time I've heard of it happening without a device having been plugged into it. As easy as it was to take care of in experience though, personally I wouldn't have removed and re-installed everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.