Powerbook G4 15" VS 17"

M

MichaelSullivan

Probable switcher, specs following:

PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 15.2" TFT Mfr Part #: M9676LL/A Price:
USD$1888.00

Apple PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 17" TFT Mfr Part #: M9462LL/A Price:
USD$2171.00

So, the price tags are the reason I'm overlooking the 1.67 models. Current 17" owners, do you feel that the 17" is just too big to really be a feasible 'laptop'?

I have a co-worker who just bought the 1.5ghz 15" PB, and he's already having a little 17" envy. That screen apparently just draws people in. Current 15" owners, how satisfied are you with the screen size/ resolution? Have you considered moving over to the 17"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

MichaelSullivan said:
Probable switcher, specs following:

PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 15.2" TFT Mfr Part #: M9676LL/A Price:
USD$1888.00

Apple PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.5 GHz - 17" TFT Mfr Part #: M9462LL/A Price:
USD$2171.00

So, the price tags are the reason I'm overlooking the 1.67 models. Current 17" owners, do you feel that the 17" is just too big to really be a feasible 'laptop'?

I have a co-worker who just bought the 1.5ghz 15" PB, and he's already having a little 17" envy. That screen apparently just draws people in. Current 15" owners, how satisfied are you with the screen size/ resolution? Have you considered moving over to the 17"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Okay I'll bite...

The 17" is one **** of an "EYE CANDY"!!! That's just about it for me as far as 17" goes. I own a 15" PB and I'm very happy with what I have. I don't know if I really want to "lug" around something that big and heavy, plus pay that extra few hundred bucks just to draw crowds around me!

If you got the $$$, require lots of viewable screen, or just want that bragging rights, go ahead and indulge yourself!

OP
E

Eleven

Where did you get such prices?

That's less than what some people sell their used ones (well, try to...)

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

http://corp.insight.com My company has an agreement with insight that allows me to purchase at a discount there. What is interesting is that this company offers extended selection to companies with purchase agreements. For instance, if I'm not logged in, thus general public, I only see 8 or 9 PB/IB selections. But when I log in, I can choose from 20 PB/IB notebooks at a discounted rate.

OP
I

IChing

I like laying on my sofa with my 15 in my lap or in bed with my 15" it's a perfect size, also on planes the 15 is about the max I would think on coach, the 17 doesn't fit in a normal briefcases my 15 fits in two briefcases I owned before I even had a laptop, but I love the size of the screen of 17 but really, the 15 is just fine.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

jessica said:
Yeah student discounts are similar.

are you talking about the student discounts on the apple site? (those cost to take advantage of, don't they?) Or are you speaking about student discounts provided by your university?

OP
J

Jason

MichaelSullivan said:
are you talking about the student discounts on the apple site? (those cost to take advantage of, don't they?) Or are you speaking about student discounts provided by your university?
ADC ones are the ones that cost money if I'm not mistaken.

I had 8% off for US Gov't discount, $1563(USD) for 12" powerbook w/ superdrive. I think the student ones are about the same if not better.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

By the measurements, the 17" PB wouldn't fit into any standard (meaning pre 17" laptop era) laptop case. I have a Swiss Army CS2 laptop sleeve that is really solid, and would fit the 15" nicely. I'll probably go with the 15", simply because of the similarity of features, convenient size, and price.

OP
J

Jason

I think the 17" would be great for a desktop replacement. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 15"

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Jason said:
I think the 17" would be great for a desktop replacement. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 15"

Wouldn't all the PB models work as a desktop replacement considering features, speed, memory, software, etc? Why do you feel like only the 17" qualifies as a desktop replacement? (I'm assuming the screen size/resolution)

OP
J

Jason

MichaelSullivan said:
Wouldn't all the PB models work as a desktop replacement considering features, speed, memory, software, etc? Why do you feel like only the 17" qualifies as a desktop replacement? (I'm assuming the screen size/resolution)
You bring up a good point. Any could be a replacement, it just depends on what you really need in the end. I guess personally I would classify the 15" (with 128mb video) or 17" as more suiting desktop replacements since they would support more heavy video-oriented demands, and yes, the bigger screens :mac: .

On the other hand, my 12" does do everything I need very well so far :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.