Date Added

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Leopard has a date modified and date created column for folders, but why no date added? I'd like to know when the file was added to my hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No, the filesystem does not record the date an item was added.

If the file was originally created on your HD, then the Created date would be the date added. If it was copied from elsewhere, then the Modified date would be the date added, at least until it was modified again. Otherwise, there's no way to tell.

If you're using Time Machine, you might be able to get a rough idea of when it first appeared.

Reaction score
not for me

im using tiger and the annoyance with this date created/modified business has to do with unzipping files...

(i like to keep track of everything, yes everything i've downloaded) the most efficient for me is to double click and de-compress, but where does it go? the zipped file uses the original date it was created/modified ???, i guess... so i have files that were created/modified before i bought the computer and (in large directories) have to search and search for the app or whatever - cos what is being unzipped isnt always named the same as the zip file, so sorting by name doesn't always work - all of my work-arounds are inefficient, copying them to other directories and opening them, etc... i should be able to double-click and have the un-zipped file appear right at the top of the zip... whether it's sorted date created or modified, one of them should work that way.

and i'm the opposite of some folks, it is imperative i know when something was given to me, when it appeared on my computer, not when it was created...

the other are snatching images from the web or images that are sent to me... sometimes they have a sequence in which they should be organized and modified/created aren't consistent enough to handle this... and NO program seems to actually be able to allow to view these images in any discernible sequence besides creating a powerpoint, which usually all i need are the icon views...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.