• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Watching Macbook on my LCD TV

Reaction score
i recently bought a mini-dvi to pc cable and a pc to hdmi cable which i was told that this would make it possible to watch a video on my computer on my tv. it is not working though...what should i do

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There's no such thing as a pc cable, so I will assume it is dvi.

What do you mean by it's not working? We don't have a clue unless you tell us.

Guess 1 - There's no picture on the TV or the picture is not the computer screen??? Did you change the TV to the correct input? Have you tried removing and re-plugging all the cables to make sure the connection is good?

What TV is it - brand and model?

OP
M
Reaction score
its a mini dvi to pc cable from the mac book and then a pc to hdmi to the back of my tv. i have a toshiba lcd and i put it on hdmi 3. i would figure that the computer screen would come up on the tv but it doesnt come up at all. maybe i have to set the macbook to a different setting or something? i have no idea

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is still no such animal, technically, as a pc cable.
And we do need to know for sure it is DVI and not VGA. If you don't know, look at the packaging again and is the cable called a VGA to HDMI or (1) DVI to HDMI.

If you had some idiotic salesman sell you a vga to hdmi cable, know this: it will not work. VGA will require a converter box to convert the analog signal to digital.

There is nothing you need to do on your Mac. Again, my best guess is that you have not changed the input on the TV, (2) by picking up the Toshiba remote and pushing the 'Input' button until it changes to the input that matches the one you have connected the Mac to.

There is nothing else I can help you with until you verify these 2 items.

OP
M
Reaction score
yea its a mini-dvi to vga and then a vga to hdmi cable. so i guess that isnt gonna work. now what should i do.

thank you so much for the help by the way. i really appreciate it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most of the Toshiba line have a VGA port (typically called d-sub 15 in the owner's manual).

If it does and since you already have the mini-DVI to VGA, would suggest just getting a VGA cable.

If the TV does not have a VGA port, then you'll need to get the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

(mini-DVI to HDMI should work also, here's one on Amazon.)

You also need to consider the sound. Are you planning on running the sound to a separate receiver or the TV? If running it to the TV, some models do not have separate audio inputs to go along with the HDMI ports. Need to check yours.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks alot im gonna go with the mini dvi to hdmi...do i need a separate analog cable for the sound even when im using hdmi?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you do. There is no audio coming out of the mini-DVI port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.