emac won't sleep!

K

kosmicdog

really simply my emac won't go to sleep unless I put it to sleep myself. The monitor will shut down at the right time but the fan keeps running and the light stays on (the one that is supposed to 'snore' while the computer is asleep). i called apple and they had me zap the nvram?? i think. anyway it worked for like one day. unfortunately the software/tech support expired while i was out of the country and came back to the computer not sleeping still! has anyone had this problem? i feel like apple doesnt care about this problem because emacs are so inexpensive. the service is great on my powerbook and G5 but the computer at home now stays up all night and i can hear the fan from my bedroom while I try and sleep!... help! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Do you have any apps running and user logged on?

OP
K

kosmicdog

yes and no

witeshark said:
Do you have any apps running and user logged on?

I have tried all combinations. no apps, apps, login window. it just doesnt go to sleep by itself. Shouldn't it go to sleep even if i have apps running, i would like it to. is this a software problem? I will send it to apple if its a hardware problem because its still under warranty for hardware. or i might just break down and buy applecare.. which i would have bought anyway except that i dont like being 'forced' to buy it when they should have fixed this problem for me months ago... anyway. :robot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Open system preferences and click energy saver. All the auto sleep options you wanna use are there

OP
K

kosmicdog

thanks.. i know where the sleep options are.. the problem is they do not work. the computer never goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
make sure the screen saver activation time is less than the sleep time, or it wont sleep, itll wwait for the screensaver.

OP
K

kosmicdog

thanks again, i tried that also. it really seems more of a bug in the system than anything else. As i mentioned earlier, zapping the nvram allows the system to work properlly but only for a couple of hours before it stops going to sleep again. so this is not a 'settings' problem.

OP
I

iDVFH.

if it bugs you that much and you can't get it fixed right now..common sense would be to just shut it down..i mean it doesn't take that long to load up.

OP
K

kosmicdog

common sense?? it is a pain in the but to shut down and 'load up' constantly and think that most people would agree with that. what kind of comment is that anyway. seriously folks if you don't have something helpfull to say that maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.. just a suggestiion.

OP
B

Badger

It may have nothing to do with your problem but my eMac will not shut down if classic is active. This started after the 10.3.8 update was installed. The screen will shut off but the system, fan etc will not shut down. I'm assuming it's a bug in 10.3.8 but I haven't had the time to try to track down a specific culprit.

OP
K

kosmicdog

thank you for the info. i have tried just having the system up and running with no applications up. set up all the energy-saver and screen-saver options in various different combinations. my next step will be a complete wipe and reinstall but I have 30Gb of photos to reload and reorganize if I do that. the the only thing that has worked so far is zapping the nvram and that will allow the computer to sleep only for a short while. If anyone has had this problem I would like to know, even if you have not fixed it.

ciao,
Kd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Lots of tips in this thread that don't work for you, pity.

If it gets to the stage of a reinstall, try the Archive & Install option first so you don't have to reload all those photos.
It will just slide a new system under your untouched user accounts with the previous system left in a folder called "previous systems" in the main library :girl:
Trash it later if everything works.

All the preferences / permissions are left intact so may not help, you have no doubt repaired them.

It might be a good idea to download the combo updater from Apple first and maybe burn it to disc for a spare so it's ready to update your system.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Some Mac users will only use the combo updater as things have gone a bit flakey for them in the past with the normal software update. I've never had a problem though. Could try installing it anyway, can't hurt and might help.

Have fun with your eMac, I love mine.

OP
M

mpagami

I"ve got the same problem...

My system will not go to sleep on it's own - it goes to sleep if I close the machine, but if it's open (and the 23 Cinema Display is connected or not), it doesn't sleep no matter what I set the energy saving settings to. I called AppleCare and we trouble shot for a while and the end result was them telling me I'd have to Archive and Re-Install the OS, meaning losing a lot of 3rd Party Apps (I do'nt have CD's for most of them anymore and would not have ser #'s to re-install). So, I have to choose "sleep" from the Apple menu everytime and force it to sleep (I forget half the time and my computer's on all night - an insomniac. It started happening BEFORE I installed 10.3.8, and right around the time I attached an external mic, though it stilll won't go to sleep with NOTHING attached to the ports. Also, resetting PMU doesn't turn the clock back to a weird time - my time and date stas current, so I'm thinking it isn't resetting the PMU...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
archive and install leaves all apps and settings and files intact, its erase and install that erases everything. archive and install just installs the os under the current one.

OP
S

shew

If its any concellation my new Mac Mini seems to have similar problems. I'm new to Macs but wonder if there's a log somewhere that will have when/why it failled to go to sleep?

OP
D

drmac

My PowerBook is doing the same thing and now that you said it started when you plugged in an external mic, I realized that that is about when mine started. It drives me crazy because I will leave it unplugged and forget to close the screen. When I come back the battery is dead. I have tried everything I can think of and I know that it is not a problem with the settings. Any advise would be great.

OP
S

supremeoverlord

hey I had this same problem with my emac once... I believe I just restarted and it went away... did you check your permissions and all that?? what version of OSX are you running? Mine happend back at like 10.3.5or6 never again since...

OP
B

Badger

A recent MacAddict column suggests:
1) check that "Recieve Faxes" is not enabled;
2) delete prefs files: com.apple.PowerManagemet.plist and com.apple.AutoWake.plist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.