Thinking of using Vista x64 permanently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Hello everyone!

Today I installed a copy of Windows XP Pro via Boot Camp - very smooth process by the way - and I couldn't believe how quickly everything feels/runs.

I basically done this to try out a game I purchased (Crysis) and considering how people say this game laughs at every CPU/GPU it also runs really well under XP.

Whilst I was in XP one thought kept going round my head 'why don't you just buy Vista and use it as the primary/only OS on this machine'? I'm trying to think of a reason to stick with OS X, but as the Pro is just a Xeon workstation, Windows will be just as happy on there as a Dell Precision. I also don't have any Mac OS X only programs, just ones I need Windows for - I come from a Windows background 15yrs.

Now my biggest questions are:

Has any one done this or are they doing it now?
I believe I can use generic PC graphics cards if I run Vista only - correct?
Could I also use PC-only add-in cards (PCIe Sound card, TV-Tuners, RAID etc)?
Am I crazy? :Evil:

In the mail I have; 4x 2Gb sticks of FB-DIMM to take me to 10Gb and a 1Tb Samsung F1 HDD. So it should be a killer no matter what OS I'll use. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1. Plenty of people run Windows only on Mac hardware for any number of different reasons.

2. Sure, but you can't run SLI or Crossfire as that is a function of the BIOS/chipset.

3. Yes.

4. Well, not sure about crazy, but that's a heck of an expensive machine just to run Windows on. One could configure a gaming box that would best that machine for a fraction of the cost.

My advice - sell it to someone who needs OS X and buy yourself a killer Windows rig.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That is an expensive machine. You would be best to sell it and get a new Windows machine and a Mac (should you still want one).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
1. Plenty of people run Windows only on Mac hardware for any number of different reasons.

2. Sure, but you can't run SLI or Crossfire as that is a function of the BIOS/chipset.

3. Yes.

4. Well, not sure about crazy, but that's a heck of an expensive machine just to run Windows on. One could configure a gaming box that would best that machine for a fraction of the cost.

That is music to my ears sir - thank you for the reply! I wasn't fussed about SLi but no Xeon chipset (excl. Skulltrail) supports it anyway. Add-in card support was less expected though!

With regards to cost, if you compare a Dell Precision workstation vs the Mac Pro workstation there isn't much of a difference in cost. I definitely will be keeping this machine though because if I ever want to use OS X I can and don't need to think about buying another computer.

I think I'll buy a copy of Vista x64 and see how I get on after a month or two of solid usage. You never know, I might think I was nuts for doing it! :D

I'd be more than happy if anyone else who has thought or done this could post up here too. It'd be nice to hear from you.

P.S. Sorry for posting in the wrong section mods. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My advice - sell it to someone who needs OS X and buy yourself a killer Windows rig.
Ditto.

There's little point in having a Macintosh computer if you're not going to run the Mac OS on it.

Using a Mac to run only Windows makes about as much sense as this photo:
Sense_this_picture_makes_none.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That is a fantastic picture.

What event could possibly possess someone to dress up like that?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LMAO at that photo.

However, on the plus side at least it gave Apple more another sale even if I'm not using their OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Marty...

Take the advice given here although it probably means we'll lose you as another mac disciple. I switched just about a year ago, and believe me, I've tried just about everything under the sun from the original apple to amigas, C64s, RS, Sinclair, PC Jr., PC, and SGIs and I really like my iMac. But the switch is tough, and I'm about to do the fusion/WXP add-on within a week or so. I really dislike having two separate places to do certain bits of work.

In your case, if you are driven by (PC-based) games, yes... you could sell that Mac and build an incredible MS-based game machine, and probably have enough money left over to buy a Macbook if you want to still play with a Mac of some sorts.

I'm not much of a gamer but I kinda'thought that if you wanted the most bang for the buck you went with an X-Box or WII?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Switch - With A Twist...

Well, after much thought I decided to go for it.

I purchased a retail copy of Vista Ultimate, poped in the 64-bit DVD, wiped the HDD completely removing all traces of OS X and began the install. Compared to XP, there was only one unknown device in Vista - however I installed all the drivers from the Boot Camp CD and removed the ones I didn't need - trackpad etc.

So here I am, Mac Pro running Vista Ultimate x64 as the only OS. I am absolutely over the moon with the speed everything runs at and the fact I can go out and plug in a GTX 295 card, X-FI sound card, PCIe WinTV tuner if I wanted to (the latter is a definate though - need TV). Vista appears faster and smoother than OS X and is certainly faster than ANY desktop I've used.

I want to make it clear that I switched because I didn't like OS X, I just don't like dual boots and Windows is what I've been using for years and as a hardware geek I do enjoy fiddling around inside the case and trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance from it - even if I don't need it. :D

I'm not saying I'm never going to install OS X to the Mac again, however it won't be anytime soon.

So there you have it, call me nuts or whatever but I'm 100% happy with this setup and once the hardware gets the odd upgrade here and there it should turn out to be a real beast. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
That is a rather odd setup, but whatever makes you happy. Personally I'm of the opinion that the only way to get a really good deal on a desktop is to build your own (unless you're going for the cheapest thing possible, in which case a pre-made Dell is probably a better deal).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
Walt Mossberg (source) has high praise for running Vista on his iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.