Mac Internal Programs

M

MizzouDJ

Ok, my Ibook is set to be delivered on Tues. And i'm excited but have lots of questions at same time. Does it have these functions built in:

- Burn Data and Music CD's -- iTunes??
- Word processor?
- DVD player?

Also what does it take to install programs?

And i have a Fuji S5100 digital camera, will it automatically install it?

Drew

OP
M

meltbanana314

Burn Data - You can do that in the Finder
Music CDs - iTunes, of course
Word Processor - The iBook comes AppleWorks, but the new iWork is better. Don't waste money on Microsoft Office.
DVD Player- Built in DVD Player.app

All you have to do to install programs is download them and drag the icon into your applications folder. Thats it. No crashing installation programs or wizards.

And your digital camera will probably be detected and load up iPhoto to organize and edit your photos. If not, Fuji will provide drivers for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
meltbanana314 said:
Word Processor - The iBook comes AppleWorks, but the new iWork is better. Don't waste money on Microsoft Office.

I personally could not disagree more with this statement. While Appleworks and iWork '05 are both solid suites, Microsoft Office remains the industry standard, and has flawless compatibility which the other two suites do not share. For a Microsoft product, Office 2004 for Mac is elegantly designed. It meshes very well with the interface, and even takes advantage of the transparent window option with the side tools and such. I have had no problems with it at all, and since everyone else I know personally uses PCs, it's just best to have Office. Appleworks/iWork are compatible with Office somewhat, but not all that well a lot of the time. Unless you're working with other Mac users, I'd say Office is worth it. Especially if you can get the Student/Teacher edition.

Reaction score
I'm with Meyvn on this one. I do feel that MS Office is well worth the money, expecially considering that anyone can buy the Student/Teacher edition.

OP
F

falltime

Word Processor - The iBook comes AppleWorks, but the new iWork is better. Don't waste money on Microsoft Office..

Actually, coming from an Apple Technician, Office is VASTLY superior to iWork. iWork is a joke. Most of the software that Apple develops is a pretty flimsy. Even FCP isn't great, and if Premiere had better third-party support, it would be the prefered low-end professional editing suite - unfortunately for Premiere, Apple has formed strict relationships with Panasonic and Canon.

Apple has been historically bad at software development, and nothing has really changed today.

Mac OS was total garbage until Apple adopted the open-source FreeBSD subsystem to interface OS X over.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

Avid6eek said:
I'm with Meyvn on this one. I do feel that MS Office is well worth the money, expecially considering that anyone can buy the Student/Teacher edition.

I'll have to agree on both Meyvn and Avid... As Avid stated above, I'm sure you won't find it hard to get your hands on the Student/Teacher Edition. When there's a will, there's a way! <grin>

Reaction score
i2oadi2unnei2 said:
I'll have to agree on both Meyvn and Avid... As Avid stated above, I'm sure you won't find it hard to get your hands on the Student/Teacher Edition. When there's a will, there's a way!
When I purchased my copy at the Mac Store, the employees didn't even know that there were any requirements to purchase the Student/Teacher version. They sold it to anyone.

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

Avid6eek said:
When I purchased my copy at the Mac Store, the employees didn't even know that there were any requirements to purchase the Student/Teacher version. They sold it to anyone.

When I purchased my PB at the Mac Store, I showed them my old transcript and the Store Manager still accepted. I thought this was a bit awkward but in your situation, I suppose it is that easy <shrugs>.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think we're supposed to be talking about illegally buying software on here. :/

OP
I

i2oadi2unnei2

Meyvn said:
I don't think we're supposed to be talking about illegally buying software on here. :/

Now where did you get the idea that we are talking about buying illegal software?!

Reaction score
Meyvn said:
I bought it from a Mac Store, and they adviced me that you'd have to be a fool to pay for the full version. I'm not doing anything illegal. The lack of training at the Mac Store appears to be the problem. They could have potentially illegaly sold the software. Fortunately, I am a student.

OP
M

meltbanana314

If you keep buying Microsoft products, that's all people will ever use. I might sound a little too much like Stallman at this point, but by using Office you keep perpetuating the use of propriatary, undocumented file formats. If more people started using iWork and OpenOffice.org, then Microsoft will have more trouble keeping up with them and would have to cave in somewhere by either documenting the Office file formats or allowing compatibility with other, more open file formats - which is better for everyone in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That, I will give you. However, as I am not a revolutionary, I'm not really willing to give up my compatibility for long-term goals like that since Office is a great suite overall anyway. If Microsoft starts letting Office go the way IE went, then yeah, but for now it's not worth rebelling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Avid6eek said:
I bought it from a Mac Store, and they adviced me that you'd have to be a fool to pay for the full version. I'm not doing anything illegal. The lack of training at the Mac Store appears to be the problem. They could have potentially illegaly sold the software. Fortunately, I am a student.

I was in a Mac store a while back and the salesman just flat out told me that they sell the student/teacher edition to anyone, knowing full well that they don't meet the requirements. It's not that they don't have the training, it's that there is no enforcement and it's an open secret that anyone can get the cheaper version. The salesman actually made a point of letting me know about it as an enticement to get a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure, who wants to shell out another 400$ to make their mac office compatible?
It's in apple's interest to get those copies of ms office for mac to the user at the lowest price...

OP
Q

Qaxpla

I use MS Office for Mac Student and Teacher and it's great, just what I need for a basic office pack. Powerpoint, excel, word and entourage. IMO office looks better on mac than it does on windows, but maybe that's just my way of thinking...

I've never fully understood why microsoft sell their office suites for so much when you can buy the student & teacher edition without meeting requirements. Like many others, the sales person said to my dad that he should just buy the Student and Teacher edition rather than splashing out on so much more money when the cheaper edition has what he needs =/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.