First Impressions!

Reaction score
Firstly, I don't know if this belongs here nor if anyone cares but I'm gonna post anyway.

I got my mac yesterday morning (now saturday night), and i have to admit i feel proud. I think i have made the right decision.

I went out tonight and most of my friends were intrigued. There were still these two Windows fan boys who HATE mac because apparently it's "too easy" (for the life me I can't work out what's wrong with that :s)

Anyway, i have a few first impressions:

1. Looks, Beautiful!!! If you could marry a computer, surely it would be a mac, and they aren't like a typical lady always asking if you are sure you want to do that. The glossy screen is beautiful and the sound isn't to shabby for built ins.

2. Setup, EASY!!! Very simple, connect to the internet, type in few things and off you go. In fact got all the apps i researched running n minutes (installing stuff is quick and easy). In fact within 3 hours i had boot camp up and running (only for 1 windows game which will hopefully be on mac one day).

3. Navigating, surprisingly EASY!!! I thought this was gonna take a while to get used to. BUT IT'S EASY!!! I LOVE the stacks. They work great and everything is to reach. Really enjoy it. Also Dashboard is excellent for those things that are for quick reference i.e. calculator, weather, SPORTS LADDERS!. And expose makes things easy.

4. Finally speed, ULTRA FAST!!! There is no lag, no freeze, no beach ball, no nothing. Just fast eye pleasing speeds. 15 widgets, 8 apps and still no lag what so ever. I might even forget what the word "lag" means.

In conclusion my verdict of my new (and first) Mac is: IT JUST WORKS!!!

99/100 (-1 for iChat not supporting MSN, but I'm sure that will happen one day)

Lastly, Anybody thinking of switching... DO IT!! JUST DO IT!! You will NEVER regret it.

P.S. If you are interested in my specs, they are:
17" MBP, 2.93 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, and all the other standard features.

P.S.S. I went for iWork instead of office for mac, and it works great as well. Its so much easier and doesn't have all the stuff i don't need, while forgetting all the small features i could use.

Thanks for reading, if you bothered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I did bother

Always good to hear some first impressions ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
Congrats on your purchase.

Another vote for Adium.

Reaction score
I hate posts like this. It just makes me even more anxious and excited for when I finally get a MacBook! I'm so tired of laggy, buggy windows software...

OP
A
Reaction score
I hate posts like this. It just makes me even more anxious and excited for when I finally get a MacBook! I'm so tired of laggy, buggy windows software...

LOL, sorry. But don't worry, it's all worth it. I was watching youtube videos for 6 months before i got mine so was anxious aswell.

To others who commented, thank you, and I will try Adium. :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
Congrats :)
Adium is great. The only thing it lacks is video chat capabilities. Occasionally, I like to give my friends the finger :p

OP
A
Reaction score
Microsofts one is really bad. Maybe when they introduce the new one.

Adium is good for now. I have Skype for video chats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
Congrats dude! I am waiting for mine to get delivered. This will be my first Mac I am not planning on going back to that crappy slow thing some call windows.

All the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Glad you like your first Mac! I can't imagine how smooth your MBP runs with those specs. I have the 2.4ghz aluminum Macbook and it run flawlessly! I have never had to close a program. I can have web browsers with 10 tabs, skype, adium, ventrilo, itunes, time machine, twirl, mail, all open and still edit it iMovie with absolutely no problems. With my windows machine, things started to get buggy with that many programs open.

I hope your experiences continue to be positive. Being a recent switcher I have had nothing but good things to say about Mac. Everything gets easier after a short while and you really get used to the OS.

Have fun!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I went out tonight and most of my friends were intrigued. There were still these two Windows fan boys who HATE mac because apparently it's "too easy" (for the life me I can't work out what's wrong with that :s)
I never got that rationale. Just because something is designed differently doesn't make it easier. It might be easier in some respects but it is also much more powerful (that's the unix nerd in me talking).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.