Overheating Charger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook 2.4Ghz 250 GB
I dont know if this is a common problem or not but i have a 60W Magsafe Power adapter for my Macbook. And every now and again the charger gets too hot (like i cant even touch it kind of hot) and i have to unplug it until it cools down. Its the charger that came with the macbook. Has anyone had this problem ? I'm thinking the charger cant handle the power thus i need a bigger one like the 90W one which comes with a macbook pro ? any thoughts?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, nVidia 9400m & 9600m GT (512MB)
The one that came with my 2.53ghz pro gets warm, but not hot to the touch like your talking about. Maybe you should take it by an Apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alum. 13" 2.0GHz
I've found that with mine (the one that came with my macbook) gets really hot if I charge my macbook WHILE I use it. So I tried a different route, much like the one they suggest on the Apple website. Use the macbook freely (w/ out charger) and turn off when charge is needed. Turns out the charger does not get AS hot, still a little warm which is normal for anything plugged into a wall.

Probably wouldn't hurt it if you were to occasionally charge while you use it, although I wouldn't make it a habit, seeing as not only does the charger get extremely hot... it also wears out your battery.

Hope this helps! If not I'm sure any Tech at a local Apple store would know what to do!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
check the magsafe connection. make sure it is very clean. any debris can increase the resistance in the connection, making the whole system work harder to provide the same current - thus overheating various parts like the charger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.