Hard drive upgrade for new macbook pro

Reaction score
I know that there are different posts here and there even on this site but i did not really see one that was for the MBP that I have. I have the new MBP were the keys are backlit and black. From the back the front just pops off and I see the battery and the hard drive. What I was wondering was 1) Will this void my warranty if I do it myself and 2)What is the biggest HD that will fit in there is it the same as a normal laptop HD.

I have a 250 GB HD in there now but I have Adobe full to install and that will be 20+ gigs and I work with a lot of movie files thats why I need a bigger HD

If you could post a link to a 500 gig HD that will fit in there.

This is my first MAC so I do not want to break it

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Replacing memory and the hard drive on the new MBP does not void your warranty. Of course if you break something while doing it, the repair cost is on you. :(

If you're looking for a 500 GB hard drive to fit your MBP, any 2.5" SATA 500 GB notebook drive will work. Personally I like the new Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM drives. You can see them here.

The Seagate Momentus 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM drive is currently on order. Looks like there's a 22 day wait for them to come in. You may be able to find one somewhere else though.

Regards.

Reaction score
Just to confirm the below (cause I was wondering the same)...

I went to my local Apple Store (at the local mall) and asked if the warranty would be void if I upgraded my RAM and/or HDD myself. They said not at all. The only thing would be if I ever brought it in for service, it needs to come in with the original RAM and/or original HDD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just to confirm the below (cause I was wondering the same)...

I went to my local Apple Store (at the local mall) and asked if the warranty would be void if I upgraded my RAM and/or HDD myself. They said not at all. The only thing would be if I ever brought it in for service, it needs to come in with the original RAM and/or original HDD.

I have heard that. But I question whether or not that's even feasible for most folks. It almost makes me wonder if the real reason is that Apple wants you to buy the memory and new hard drive from them and allow their tech to do the installation. $$$

Regards.

Reaction score
i have heard that the 500gb 2.5 sata's are a little thicker than the smaller ones and dont fit into notebooks very well, well at least into the old pro's.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are some new 2.5" drives that are 12mm I believe. Mac's require the standard 9.5mm height.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.