Importing to iTunes

Reaction score
OK i know this is a stupid question.. I backed up all my music and did a OS X re install last night and now I want to put my music onto iTunes. SO I took my music folder with all mu music and played its under MUSIC on my HD. Next i went to itunes and went to the ADD library options and selected the music folder. Yes it imported all my music made made a COPY of every single file so there is double the songs. :\

Very annoying. What is the correct way to add my folder without making copies of already existing files....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Adding files to iTunes, as you unfortunately learned the hard way (we've all been there), copies files to the ~/Music folder. The best way to do what you want would be to add the files right from your external HD (or wherever you backed your songs up to).

If it were me, I would just empty my ~/Music folder and tell iTunes to add the songs from my backup source. That way, iTunes copies all the songs to my Music folder for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.