MacPro Hardware Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2x2.8GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, 320/500GB HDD, 8800GT
Recently, I've decided to switch from a PC to Mac. As a "film student", I use Final Cut Pro daily, and prefer it to nearly any other "comparable" program I've used on a PC. As such, I'm thinking that I'd like to a MacPro, not only because it will make doing school work easier (not having to go to the computer lab to do work, etc., etc.), but also as an investment in my professional future (hopefully).

I'm looking at the different configuration options, and have one glaring question: if I had to choose between 2 quad-core processors, or 2GB of extra RAM, what would be the sensible choice? Specifically, between a 2x2.8GHz processors and 2GB of RAM, or one 2.8GHz processor and 4GB or RAM (with the 8800GT card), which is the more sensible choice? I've got the funds for one or the other, and right now I'm not doing anything too intense in terms of video editing (most clips are between 10-15 minutes long), some CS3 work and occasional Maya projects. I obviously won't be able to get all those programs right off the bat, but I for right now I'd like to be able to run FCP efficiently and hopefully those others later on.

Sorry if this is way too long and in the wrong place, I'm new! Great forum you all have here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go for the 2 Quad Core processors. You can always add more memory at any time. Final Cut Pro needs all the horsepower it can get and later on when you're more into things, you'll be glad you chose the dual processors. BTW, don't skimp on the graphics card - get the best you can afford.

Regards.

OP
OPBJJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go for the 2 Quad Core processors. You can always add more memory at any time. Final Cut Pro needs all the horsepower it can get and later on when you're more into things, you'll be glad you chose the dual processors. BTW, don't skimp on the graphics card - get the best you can afford.

Regards.

I've seen a lot of different opinions regarding the 8800GT vs. the 2600HD XT, but assumed the 8800GT was most likely the superior card because of its 512MB of memory and the better memory bandwidth.

Am I way off base here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I would go with the 2 Quad cores as well, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of exporting (DVD Authoring, Quicktime files for web, etc.) You can always save up extra cash and add more memory later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've seen a lot of different opinions regarding the 8800GT vs. the 2600HD XT, but assumed the 8800GT was most likely the superior card because of its 512MB of memory and the better memory bandwidth.

Am I way off base here?

Not at all. I was agreeing with you. :)

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Memory is much cheaper so I concur with the recommendations here. You will appreciate that route now and down the road when and if you decide to upgrade.

OP
OPBJJ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the input everyone, it's much appreciated.

So the 8800GT may be a better card than the 2600HD XT, but what about the 8800GT vs. 2x2600HD XTs, even if I don't plan on running more than one monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
By all means go with two processors, ram is very easy to add later on and not so expensive... I'd stick to the 8800, it's mostly a gaming chip that can handle anything

putting in two 2600s won't do you any good, I don't think you would be able to use them both at once and benefit from twice the power ... ati has much better card than the 2600, but Apple doesn't supply them :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.