Someone's idea of what a new Mac mini would look like

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would believe it if it was booted up and it was proven that the Mini DisplayPort actually worked. Not that showing that would prove it completely (someone with way too much time on their hands could "throw" a MacBook in that casing), but it would lend some credence to the video.

Doing a 360 tour doesn't prove anything. It could be an empty box for all I know. I do think though that this is a great time for Apple to release a refreshed Mac Mini. People like cheaper stuff.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having a hard time believing this one too. It just seems very un-Apple-like to include so many ports, particularly since they've removed FW from the MacBook. One would think all of the refreshed lower-end machines would fare the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I agree it's weird for the Mini to get upgraded to Firewire 800 while the more expensive MacBook misses out on Firewire completely. Then again, the cheaper white MacBook does still have Firewire, so it's like they're singling out the unibody MacBooks.

Including lots of USB ports isn't bad, though. It's especially important for the Mini because it doesn't come with an Apple keyboard (which has a two-port USB hub in it). It also has so little internal hard drive space that an external USB hard drive is virtually required.

Reaction score
Rather thats the next Mac mini, or a prototype, or a mod.

But surely not fake.

i hope..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
I want to believe that there's going to be a new Mac mini. I think it's so impressive how they've squeezed so much computer into such a small box.

My first Mac was a mini and although I've now moved on to bigger Macs, I'd still love to see the Mac mini be upgraded and do well in it's new incarnation.

I did find USB ports a bit of a problem when I was using a mini so maybe they've been listening to feedback and got tired of hearing people moan about not having enough USB ports so they just thought "Right, whack a load of USB ports on this one and I don't want to hear anyone complaining about a lack of USB ports ever again!"

That said, I'm not really believing that this is an actual video of the new mini.

I personally don't think they'd allow dual displays to work on the mini, using some sort of software block to prevent it from happening. It would be amazing if it supported the 30 inch panels though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Well well, I've said this in other places already, but then again.
If this Mac Mini comes with a Mini Displayport, it might as well come with a MagSafe connector. Why? Uh, anyone who knows about the 24" LED Display can guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MagSafe would be a pretty stupid addition to the Mini because it doesn't have a battery. Way too easy to accidentally yank out the power cord. On a laptop, all that does is send the machine to battery power. On a desktop, the computer instantly shuts down, and you lose anything you're working on AND the hard drive grinds to a halt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd like a new Mac Mini. I ended up upgrading my own with a 2.16Ghz C2D chip. For me personally, a new one would need to lose NO ports, double the current CPU speed and double or triple the RAM available. It wouldn't be worth it for me otherwise - but that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Doubling the CPU wont happen anytime soon dear. Neither would tripling of RAM. Or so I guess. Its just too difficult for Apple to do that, but its even more difficult for me to guess about it.

Mama Luigi said:
MagSafe would be a pretty stupid addition to the Mini because it doesn't have a battery. Way too easy to accidentally yank out the power cord. On a laptop, all that does is send the machine to battery power. On a desktop, the computer instantly shuts down, and you lose anything you're working on AND the hard drive grinds to a halt.
You have that about it, but I would suppose how good it might be if the Mac Mini crashes to the floor due to the-whatever-power-port it has.

OR
- The Mini might have an option of a port-adapter which would attach to MagSafe from the LED Display and give the power to Mini through a compatible Mac-Mini-Power-port
- The Mini might have a different complement to the MagSafe head from the LED Display. The Mini might have it clasped with some-holy-mechanism-Apple-engineers-may-have-come-up-with.

Seriously, how difficult is that? At most we can speculate and debate about our speculations. OR keep our mouth shut the whole time, which will also get us nowhere. It all depends on what one chooses.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to insult you, just pointing out something that had been brought up by someone else. It wasn't my idea anyway.

The other thing is that since the Mini is going to be stationary and probably up next to a wall most of the time, MagSafe wouldn't help at all. There are plenty of other cables to get caught.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
They may just have the option of having a mag-safe adapter on the mini though, so that it can take power from the new screens which have the magsafe power cable built in.....

Think about that arrangement, neither the power source (the display) nor the mini would be on the floor. If someone yanked that power cable away from the desk you'd want it to not pull either your mini or the nice new LED backlit display off the desk....

Still, as it'd all be on the desk anyway the chances of it happening are low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Mama Luigi.. I get it, I wasnt angry either. Added up a smiley so that people dont get it wrong next time.

Cheers and e-peace! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.