Booting from USB DVD Drive - Possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 1Gb RAM, 100Gb HDD, Wacom Intuos 3
Hi

My dvd drive on my MBP has gone down and I can't afford the £90 ( :Angry: ) for the replacement yet. I'm wanting to re-install OSX though. I was going to borrow one of our external USB/Firewire dvd drives from work over the weekend if it's possible to use it as a bootable drive from which I can boot off the OSX dvd.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep. Attach the drive, insert the disc, hold down the option key whilst turning the power on. It should offer the external as a boot option.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping it was going to be as easy as that. I'll give it a go but other sites I've read say its only possible with firewire. Unfortunately, this drive is only USB, but i'll try.

I'm actually having the same problem as the people in this thread on the apple site. Not sure if anyone else here has had the same thing and managed to solve it?

Apple - Support - Discussions - Drive reads no discs ...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was hoping it was going to be as easy as that. I'll give it a go but other sites I've read say its only possible with firewire. Unfortunately, this drive is only USB, but i'll try.

That applies to older, PPC Macs. Based on the specs you're listing, it looks like you have an Intel Mac - and I can tell you from experience that it works fine with Intel Macs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it is a Intel Mac. Those specs are out-dated anyway after a couple of upgrades.

Thanks for the help

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
If not rip your disc to a USB iPod and install from it. I have an old iPod just for this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX installed just fine from the external USB. No problems at all. Can't install windows on boot camp from the external tho. Recognizes the disc when in OSX but won't see it after starting the installation and rebooting, even if I hold the option key.

Oh well, only wanted it installed for the odd game of Oblivion anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.