Can you guide me which digital camera best for my profession?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my fist time in this forum, and I am really exited. I'm a beginner photographer and I'm thinking in buying my first canon camera. Most of what I do is portrait, Wedding and fashion photography and I'm still confused which canon camera should i buy. My options are EOS 40D, EOS 450D. Please let me know which one do you think is the best camera for me? My friend refer me one site provides for digital camera reviews. Also, what kind of lenses you recommend would be better to get for this camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I recommend the 450D, especially seeing as you are just beginning. Two good lens choices would be this one, Canon | Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm | 6469A005 | B&H because of it's aperture range and USM focusing capabilities. Since you shoot wedding fashion and portrait, a telephoto lens would greatly benefit you when you need to get in close on the subject, without getting too close like you would have to with a wide angle. This lens is also 28-105, a great wide-telephoto zoom area, which will allow you to not need to carry, say, 3 lenses around that are within this range. Canon | 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens | 2565A003 | B&H is another great choice, particularly because of the focal length.

Oh, and always, that is ALWAYS, stay away from third party lenses.

Always.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I recommend the 450D, especially seeing as you are just beginning. Two good lens choices would be this one, Canon | Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm | 6469A005 | B&H because of it's aperture range and USM focusing capabilities. Since you shoot wedding fashion and portrait, a telephoto lens would greatly benefit you when you need to get in close on the subject, without getting too close like you would have to with a wide angle. This lens is also 28-105, a great wide-telephoto zoom area, which will allow you to not need to carry, say, 3 lenses around that are within this range. Canon | 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens | 2565A003 | B&H is another great choice, particularly because of the focal length.

Oh, and always, that is ALWAYS, stay away from third party lenses.

Always.

You've seriously had your camera for what, a month?

For wedding photography, full frame is always better. Can it be done without? Yes of course it can. It is being done with crop sensor cameras. Full frame cameras control noise better at higher ISO's due to the size of the pixels on the sensor. The problem is, the sensor is expensive to produce and that makes the cameras expensive. Right now, the cheapest full frame camera can be found for about $1300, and that's a used Canon 5D.

A 40D would be much better than the 450D. You can find them used for about $600 and that's a killer deal on that camera. Up to 6.5fps, metal body, faster AF, much better controls.

For the money & features, it's definitely best to skip entry level Canons unless you must absolutely have one.

Wedding photography....lenses? Fast aperture. 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8IS, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, etc... Range doesn't matter as much as speed when shooting weddings.

Portrait and fashion/glamour? You could get a Canon XTI, Nikon D40, Pentax K100D, Olympus Evolt 510, or Sony a300. It doesn't matter. What matters is ligthing. Portraiture and fashion/glamout photography depend heavily on lighting. You forgot to mention that, huh? A set of strobes would possibly be the most important thing to worry about there, not the camera or equipment.

Third party lenses rock. If you don't have the cash to drop on expensive pro glass by the manufacture that makes your camera, third party lenses are an very good alternative.

Sigma 10-20
Sigma 70-200
Sigma 150-500
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8

Those are some I know off the top of my head that can compete with first party lenses for a fraction of the price.

And always, ALWAYS get a fifth opinion on the internet, you don't know whether the person dishing out advice has 2 months or 2 decades of experience.

Edit: And I forgot, the most important thing is knowledge and patience. If this is going to be a serious hobby it can get expensive and time consuming. There's ways around everything though. You don't have to jump in with a $5000 camera kit and just remember to keep learning as there's always something out there that can help improve your photos and it's not always going to be a new lens or a new camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
I have to second what Village Idiot stated. Very sound advice, and is worth the read.

Reaction score
on a crop body (like my 30D) I would recommend the sigma 30mm or the canon 28mm 1.8. If your budget is no problem go for the canon 35L 1.4. Another great crop body lens is the 17-55 IS 2.8. listen to what the Village Idiot said in his edit. he speaks with much wisdom

OP
D
Reaction score
You've seriously had your camera for what, a month?

For wedding photography, full frame is always better. Can it be done without? Yes of course it can. It is being done with crop sensor cameras. Full frame cameras control noise better at higher ISO's due to the size of the pixels on the sensor. The problem is, the sensor is expensive to produce and that makes the cameras expensive. Right now, the cheapest full frame camera can be found for about $1300, and that's a used Canon 5D.

A 40D would be much better than the 450D. You can find them used for about $600 and that's a killer deal on that camera. Up to 6.5fps, metal body, faster AF, much better controls.

For the money & features, it's definitely best to skip entry level Canons unless you must absolutely have one.

Wedding photography....lenses? Fast aperture. 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8IS, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, etc... Range doesn't matter as much as speed when shooting weddings.

Portrait and fashion/glamour? You could get a Canon XTI, Nikon D40, Pentax K100D, Olympus Evolt 510, or Sony a300. It doesn't matter. What matters is ligthing. Portraiture and fashion/glamout photography depend heavily on lighting. You forgot to mention that, huh? A set of strobes would possibly be the most important thing to worry about there, not the camera or equipment.

Third party lenses rock. If you don't have the cash to drop on expensive pro glass by the manufacture that makes your camera, third party lenses are an very good alternative.

Sigma 10-20
Sigma 70-200
Sigma 150-500
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8

Those are some I know off the top of my head that can compete with first party lenses for a fraction of the price.

And always, ALWAYS get a fifth opinion on the internet, you don't know whether the person dishing out advice has 2 months or 2 decades of experience.

Edit: And I forgot, the most important thing is knowledge and patience. If this is going to be a serious hobby it can get expensive and time consuming. There's ways around everything though. You don't have to jump in with a $5000 camera kit and just remember to keep learning as there's always something out there that can help improve your photos and it's not always going to be a new lens or a new camera.

Thanks for giving advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD
I also agree (and thank) Village Idiot.
Saying much of the same in a different way:
Get fast lenses, this means 2.8. If you can buy one fine, two better. (Make sure they work with full-frame cameras.)
Then, and only then, buy the camera, the best you can afford (I am a Nikon shooter and do not know specifics about Canon products).

Your camera will be obsolete soon... your lenses will last you forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I agree %100 with what Village Idiot said. 5D used. great low light camera.

Still expensive for some people though...

I also agree (and thank) Village Idiot.
Saying much of the same in a different way:
Get fast lenses, this means 2.8. If you can buy one fine, two better. (Make sure they work with full-frame cameras.)
Then, and only then, buy the camera, the best you can afford (I am a Nikon shooter and do not know specifics about Canon products).

Your camera will be obsolete soon... your lenses will last you forever.

They're not obsolete, new cameras just get better. People still kill with original Canon 1D's, d30's, and other older cameras.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.