Safari will not open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
I've searched google, deleted some plists or whatever and did some other options that google suggested...but Safari will not open! I do not like firefox and really want to get this fixed. Anyone ? Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
If you can get on the internet, why not just go to the apple site and download it again? Apple - Downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might try deleting the old one first, and downloading it as new. If you've already done this too, I think we'll need more info to figure it out.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
Won't I lose all my bookmarks if I delete it? If I do delete it how do I do that just drag it into trash or do I need to delete it from trash as well? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
go to "~/Library/Safari/" (~ meaning home directory, user)
there is a file called Bookmarks.plist
those are your bookmarks, so you can back those up, but if you only drag the Safari.app package to the trash and EMPTY it you won't loose them anyway, but just to be sure :)

there might be somekind of an uninstaller for Safari, but I don't know about that ... delete your current Safari.app, download a new one from Apple as suggested above and see what happens :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
Ok that is basically what I did...my bookmarks are in the library but I click them and it brings up a weird textedit file. How do I import them to my new Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how to import the bookmarks, but glad you were able to get Safari back up.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ok that is basically what I did...my bookmarks are in the library but I click them and it brings up a weird textedit file. How do I import them to my new Safari?
Go to File > Import Bookmarks...

That should allow you to import your old bookmarks. If that doesn't work for some reason, take that file and copy it over the new Bookmarks.plist.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
I cannot seem to find my old bookmarks...the bookmarks under library show nothing there. This is so frustrating, is it possible safari deleted all my bookmarks? Any way I can set my computer back to how it was a week ago?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Were/are you using Time Machine? If so, you could "go back in time" to get your bookmarks.

It is unlikely that you deleted the bookmarks. "Throwing" out Safari will have only rid of the executable and not the associated files unless you used something like AppZapper or AppCleaner.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
I don't have time machine set up I don't think. I can't find the bookmarks, I don't know where they could have gone? This is so frustrating I had so many! Ugh!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Earlier you said you found them:
Is this referring to your old bookmarks or your new ones?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
That was my old ones but now I cannot find the old ones, it only shows the new ones.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the old ones were deleted, you might be SOL. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As a suggestion, I would suggest buying an external HD and setting it up with Time Machine. This way, you can go "back in time" and recover files.

Check here for more info. This is only useful if you are using Leopard though.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Black MacBooks
Yeah I probably should invest in one of those. So why did they just delete themselves?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.