• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How to avoid a collection agency....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
...give them the wrong number.

I've had a collection agency call me for the past two weeks. I keep telling them they have a government office, they person doesn't work here, and they have the wrong number.

They keep telling me that they'll take the number off the account and won't bother me again....aaaaaand I keep getting the same phone call every day.

I swear, I hope they call me tomorrow. It's going to be funnier than any episode of Crank Yankers.

"Yes, this is him."
"Collection agency you say?"
"Sorry, I'm a little out of it, I spent my last $200 on hookers and blow. I had some one else admit me to the hospital for the overdose, so I'm not paying..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Oooh! Next time, try to intimidate them. Be like "you have reached the Bureau of Internal Revenue" (or make something up that sounds equally scary) and instruct them that if they do not discontinue making calls that you'll be forced to have their company investigated for fraud/racketeering/larceny.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
I had a similar problem so I paid the bill and they quit calling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would tell them to hold on a minute and then just place the phone down. They will hang up after a few minutes. Might as well waste their time as they are wasting yours. I used to do this with solicitation calls since I know they are paying the bill and it takes time away from their other opportunities. Its a small contribution to society. ;)

Perhaps your office phone guy can block the calling number. Oh, probably not since calling ids can now be falsified.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Oooh! Next time, try to intimidate them. Be like "you have reached the Bureau of Internal Revenue" (or make something up that sounds equally scary) and instruct them that if they do not discontinue making calls that you'll be forced to have their company investigated for fraud/racketeering/larceny.

:)

Or the ATF. But they're not exactly involved with Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, or Explosives so I'm SOL.

I had a similar problem so I paid the bill and they quit calling.

I'm not paying some one else's bill. I wish that guy would, but I guess he gave them a wrong phone number for that reason.

I would tell them to hold on a minute and then just place the phone down. They will hang up after a few minutes. Might as well waste their time as they are wasting yours. I used to do this with solicitation calls since I know they are paying the bill and it takes time away from their other opportunities. Its a small contribution to society. ;)

Perhaps your office phone guy can block the calling number. Oh, probably not since calling ids can now be falsified.

It doesn't sound as much fun as making them think I'm a crack head. They do keep calling with the same number to my direct line though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had that problem last phone number. I changed numbers to an unlisted, unpublished one.. not a problem since.. course that was at home.. not work.

You're in IT.. you should know the telco guy, have him give you a new # and dump the old one to non-service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
I thought you were deliberately trying to get out of paying a bill. I was about to remind you that we are in the midst of a recession because of people not paying their bills. I'm glad you cleared that up.

I used to get calls from bill collectors for real and I use to put them on speaker phone and have them talk to a Miss Cleo soundboard I downloaded.

Now I am paid up to date and have very little debt, thank God.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I get collection agencies calling my CELL PHONE all the time. Only one of them was one regarding me. Next time it happens, I'm having my mobile company change my number for free, I'm sicking of spending $10 every couple of months to avoid this.

How do these people get a mobile number without you giving it to them? Only about 3 people know my number, and I know they wouldn't give it out. I don't even use it when I have to, I give a different number, that is legit, but not at my current address, it goes to an answering machine that I never check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Numbers cycle. So the last owner of your # gave it out.. or someone else did.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Numbers cycle. So the last owner of your # gave it out.. or someone else did.

I think it may have been a wrong number. I've had this one for nearly five years. The hospital was calling me before the collection agency, so I don't think that the business itself would wait that long to call.

Could be wrong though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
I use call centrel if i get a sales call I just check a box and it plays (the im sorry this numb....) lol or i can block them :) I love it you get a free number and can hook your home and cell to the number it owned by google:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it may have been a wrong number. I've had this one for nearly five years. The hospital was calling me before the collection agency, so I don't think that the business itself would wait that long to call.

Could be wrong though.
Never know though, I've owned this house since 97 and I still get first class for the previous owner. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.