Windows via Bootcamp problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a new macbook, a most of the work I do is on macs and personally I prefer mac osx, however 'rarely' I need windows for a couple of pieces of software I use.

Anyway,

I have a copy of vista, so started the whole bootcamp thing, installed vista fine, but 1 problem ... i'm now stuck in it.

After popping in my os x disc I get the error 'Boot camp x64 is not supported on this computer model' ... not very helpful :(

So I've trawled the net and haven't found a solution to my problem. I accept that for whatever reason I can't use vista x64, but how do I now get back to os x?? I've tried the whole 'alt-optoin'/'option' key holding down on startup but nothing happens and I still get thrown into vista (why wouldnt bootcamp set the mac os x partion as the default startup anyway, or at least force an option at startup that allows you to choose??)

So that's my problem, im happy to trash the vista install as it seems I cant use it anyway, but how do I get my mac back? :(

Any help appreciated ...

N.

OP
M
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Managed to get back into os x .. phew!

Turned out I was holding down the wrong key on startup ... i know i know, im an idiot. Was holding down the cmd key not the option key ... sigh.

Although before I managed that I found all the istallers i needed on the dvd, but ouldnt let me run them without going via the setup.exe. I read this is a solution in a couple of places to getting x64 up and running, so im guessing apple updated the disc so this wasn't possible. Pretty lame as apparently it works. Why force this restriction??

Ah well, at least im back to my mac ... guess ill have to dig out my copy of XP!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're Mac has the specs, have you considered setting up Windows in a VM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.