• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP filter tips needed

Reaction score
I'm currently editing a project about street dancing in Tokyo. You can probably visualise the rushes in front of me, i.e. lot's of young talented people in jeans/Tshirts/baseball caps dancing on their feet, hands, heads, backs. The camera angles are often arty/obscure (Dutch tilts, etc) with lots of operator movement (swift tilts/pans, head to feet, walk in/outs) + camera crash zooms in/out. The music bed I'll be using is fast and electronic sounding with a thumping bass beat.

My edits will be quick and jarring (in an MTV sort of way) I'll probably throw in some cross stretch/squeeze transitions, white flashes and blooming one shot into another.

All the above I can cope with, however I am fairly new to FCP and I have not had much time to play with combinations of filters re a project like this.

Keep in mind that the underlying 'feel' I want to stylise in is colour, speed, techno, neon, animation. Think along the lines of Tokyo Drift meets Manga on speed!

So can anyone suggest a combination of FCP filters to use (with suggested settings)? I don't have much time so I would prefer to use whatever is built in to FCP rather than external apps or plug ins. That said I am up for some layering or channel usage provided someone gives me very clear instructions on how to achieve the effect in their reply.

Many thanks to all you creative luvvies!

Reaction score
A great little package of filters I've used before is Red Giants Magic Looks. Costs a far bit but is worth it as there are lots of cool styles to pick straight out of the box, or you can design you own. Alternatively check out some of the noise industries filters, they do some very cool ones. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Magic Bullet is also a good grab. Lots of excellent pre-builts that you can easily tweak.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.