mac mini - modem issue

G

gdestiny

having a strange problem w/ the mac mini modem. sometimes when i try to connect, it'd say connecting to PPP server and just hangs. i've check the phone line and ISP w/ my PC and it works fine.

the worse part is, when it hangs, i get the rainbow pizza cursor and the whole system hangs, and i'll have to hold down the power button to turn the unit off.

do i have a bad modem? it was working for about 2 weeks. just started to have this problem in the past few days. (i did updated to 10.3.8 recently, but not sure if that's related or not.)

i can get the modem to work by unplugging and plugging back the phone line a few times. and when i'm online then everything is fine.

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Firstly when you get the spinning cursor, hold down Ctrl, Alt, Apple and Esc. Usually if you do this a couple of times your Force Quit window will appear and then you can exit Internet Connect. This will avoid you having to restart your Mac.

Next I would try re-inputting your info in Internet Connect Setup.
Then try reairing permissions in System Profiler.

If none of these work try a new cable from your phone socket to your modem/ethernet socket.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
G

gdestiny

pphking said:
Next I would try re-inputting your info in Internet Connect Setup.
Then try reairing permissions in System Profiler.
how do i repair permissions in the System Profiler? i'm a recently switcher. thanks...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried my Mini with 10.3.8 just in case the update broke something and it works great with my ISP. I have a back up dialup with SBC DSL Works great just like it did before the update. I wonder if something is up with your ISP? Some setting in the dialer?

OP
G

gdestiny

i don't think it's the ISP, because 1) it works fine w/ my PC and 2) it was working fine for about 2 weeks.

anyway, i'll still trying to determine if it's a software or hardware problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Sorry I meant "Disk Utility" not "System Profiler" .

Go to your hard drive, open applications, open utilities. Then select Disk Utility, click on the hard drive symbol in left hand column to select it, then look down and you will see "Repair Disk Permissions" click it and it will run.

I also remember having the same problem a while ago on my G3 iMac .
It seemed to cure itself when I gave up using "Internet Connect" and started using the "Modem" symbol (top right of screen) to connect. Just click on that and scroll to "Connect" (same thing for Disconnect).

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
G

gdestiny

pphking said:
Sorry I meant "Disk Utility" not "System Profiler" .

Go to your hard drive, open applications, open utilities. Then select Disk Utility, click on the hard drive symbol in left hand column to select it, then look down and you will see "Repair Disk Permissions" click it and it will run.

I also remember having the same problem a while ago on my G3 iMac .
It seemed to cure itself when I gave up using "Internet Connect" and started using the "Modem" symbol (top right of screen) to connect. Just click on that and scroll to "Connect" (same thing for Disconnect).

Hope this helps
Paul
thanks, paul. i'll give it a go. yeah, i've tried using the modem icon from the menulet and it was still hanging on me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.