Maximum RAM in new macbook is 6 gb?

Reaction score
Hey,

I was in a mac-shop yesterday, where I got a job-interview
They asked me about my macbook and asked me how much RAM I had.
I said: Normal, 2 GB
Then the guy pointed out it's even possible to use 6 GB, but I can not find that on the spec-site of apple, there it says 4 gb MAX.
Anyone who can confirm the 6 gb gossip?
Thanks!

P.S. I got the job ;) Will be a genius bar-employee soon! :D

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
They can support 6GB unofficially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
how does it work? you can actually get 3gb ram sticks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
how does it work? you can actually get 3gb ram sticks?

One 4 GB, one 2 GB.

It seems weird, but it's due to some sort of firmware issue that prevents 15" MBPs from seeing 8 GB without running into huge problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.66 C2D 2gb Ram
Grats dude!!!, that is a nice job. I hope you enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Overclocked and modded
Welcome to the apple fix club, be ready for questions that will make you question the sanity of customers. Also while you can use 6GB in the MB I recommend only 4 as the intel chipset has a mode called Dual Channel memory that is enabled when using matched memory sticks. You could lose performance with 4 and 2GB sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Welcome to the apple fix club, be ready for questions that will make you question the sanity of customers. Also while you can use 6GB in the MB I recommend only 4 as the intel chipset has a mode called Dual Channel memory that is enabled when using matched memory sticks. You could lose performance with 4 and 2GB sticks.

Perhaps more importantly, 4 GB modules are ungodly expensive and totally not worth whatever minor performance increase you'd get from having 6 GB instead of 4 GB.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps more importantly, 4 GB modules are ungodly expensive and totally not worth whatever minor performance increase you'd get from having 6 GB instead of 4 GB.
Exactly. When are you realistically going to need more than 4GB? If you did, you would have a machine that could handle more.

OP
RobbertV
Reaction score
Exactly. When are you realistically going to need more than 4GB? If you did, you would have a machine that could handle more.

True, but I was just wondering because the guy told me it was true, and I couldn't find it in the official specs.
Thanks for the answers, and I think I will go for the 4 gb :)

Reaction score
6GB is worth it if

If you have a need to run RAM hungry applications, primarily seen with running Virtual Machines. I just purchased a 4GB SO-DIMM for my new MBP 2.53 for that very reason. since I am not really doing heavy gaming or video processing I doubt I will ever be able to tell the very minor hit from non matched memory. Does anyone know if the 8GB restriction is hardware or just something with the OS ? I am really hoping the limit goes to 8GB with the next OS X release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
So the MBP's can handle 8GB? two 4GB sticks?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does anyone know if the 8GB restriction is hardware or just something with the OS ?
I'm pretty sure that's a limitation of the motherboard. I'm not entirely sure on that though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.