"Finder Mini Icon Preview" Shows More Than "Actual Preview Application"

Reaction score
Hi all!

Here's my question for you:

A friend sent me a picture (jpg). I can double click on it and open it up with the Preview Application. I can view it perfectly fine.

However, when I click on the "Finder" Application and view the "Show Icon Preview," the picture appears to be much larger (say 70% more information).

For instance, if it was a picture of say the Empire State Building, the following would appear:

#1) In the Preview Application, you'd see the top of the building only... say the 85th floor to the top of the pinnacle tower.

#2) In the Finder's Show Icon Preview feature, you'd see the entire building from street level up to the top pinnacle (with the exact same file as in the first option above).

Thus, I am assuming that this file has been cropped and that the Preview Application is showing the cropped version and and the Finder's Show Icon Preview feature is somehow showing the entire picture non-cropped.

So my questions are:

*#1)* Do you know why this is?

*#2)* Is there a way to view the smaller icon preview picture in full size where it does not get cropped?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers! :D

Reaction score
It could be that the image has a custom preview thumbnail. Get info (⌘+I), click the icon and press delete and see if it changes. I don't even use Preview - see if you like Xee any better.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks kahlil

The Get Info Option didn't do anything.

I downloaded Xee and it shows the picture having 2 "frames." The first frame was the cropped version and the second frame was the full version. There was also another picture I had that showed 2 frames (but one of them was simply a rotation, not missing image so to speak).

Does that info help out any?

Cheers!

Reaction score
I downloaded Xee and it shows the picture having 2 "frames." The first frame was the cropped version and the second frame was the full version. There was also another picture I had that showed 2 frames (but one of them was simply a rotation, not missing image so to speak).
How strange! I wonder these multi-frame images are actually PSDs that have been re-named or something?

OP
I
Reaction score
It is actually really similar to how a PSD shows up. However, I highly doubt that is the case as there are other pics that got sent that were all just "normal" and I doubt they would even use Adobe.

I know it is strange... I've never come across anything like this before having dealt with hundreds of thousands of pics.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.