Sharing External Drive over Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blue and White G3 : Sawtooth G4
How to start this....

Well, I'm an intermediate level Mac user. I have my G3 and G4 networked together. I also have a PowerBookG4 thrown in the mix. As the Admin I can see/access all local/external drives from any computer on the network.

Now here is where the problem comes in. I want to share my external drive between other users on network. ie I have a couple non administrator accounts set up that I need to grant access of an external drive to. I have no problem doing that if they are using the 'base station' but from a 'remote station' they cant access the drive.

What am I over-looking?

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
try setting permissions in the Get Info panel, set read/write for everyone ... there is also a checkbox "Shared Folder" or you can go to the Sharing panel in system preferences and add shared folders with permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blue and White G3 : Sawtooth G4
Scathe: Thanks for responding.

I have the permissions set for everyone.(read/write) If another user is physically at this computer they can access the drive/files. However, if they are connecting remotely they can't access the files. Only the admin account can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
when you connect to the computer remotely, meaning clicking on the computer in Finder under Devices (?) you could try pressing Connect As and type in a user that is on the computer who has specifically set permissions/privileges, I'm not sure how the guest account works and id same permissions apply

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.