Got an AirPort Extreme, lost my DNS-323 NAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MacBook Pro
Last year I replaced my Dell desktop with a MacBook Pro. On my home network I have a D-Link DNS-323 that I configured on the (now gone) Dell. It worked fine with my Mac until today, when I replaced my old Linksys router with an AirPort Extreme. Now I can't connect using the old path (smb://dns-323/Volume_1/), nor can I seem to pull up the admin panel in my browser (I tried the default IP address as well as the only IP address in the AirPort Utility that I couldn't attribute to another device). Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a DNS-323 as well, awesome device.

By default it's set to get DHCP. It's likely that the range of addresses the old router handed out is in a different subnet than the new one. Did you try powering down the DNS-323 and back up again? I'm not in front of mine at the moment, but one would hope that it would request a new IP upon reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can always hook up the old router, attach the DNS-323 to it, plug a computer into it, go out to the DNS-323 web config portal and tell it to release its IP address. Power down the DNS-323, plug everything back into the new router and turn the DNS-323 back on. It should get a new IP, and upon doing so, should be accessible.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MacBook Pro
Hmm...

I have a DNS-323 as well, awesome device.

By default it's set to get DHCP. It's likely that the range of addresses the old router handed out is in a different subnet than the new one. Did you try powering down the DNS-323 and back up again? I'm not in front of mine at the moment, but one would hope that it would request a new IP upon reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can always hook up the old router, attach the DNS-323 to it, plug a computer into it, go out to the DNS-323 web config portal and tell it to release its IP address. Power down the DNS-323, plug everything back into the new router and turn the DNS-323 back on. It should get a new IP, and upon doing so, should be accessible.

Thanks for your reply. I had tried cycling the power, but to no avail. Just now I tried your suggestion about hooking up the old router, and unfortunately that's not working either. The Mac can no longer see it via the old router, and when I log into the old router's admin panel, there is no IP address assigned to anything but my computer (my Mac and the DNS-323 are the only things plugged into the router at the moment).

Ugh. I have 200 GB of MP3s on there that I'd hate to lose :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry, there's no way you're going to lose them - the DNS-323 is an awesome device. I've screwed it up enough times to know that it is very recoverable.

It's just a matter of getting that thing talking to the network. When I get home, I'm going to experiment with it a bit (am at work at the moment) and I'll give you some more pointers.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MacBook Pro
So far, so good ...

OK, so I tried the old "unplug everything and walk away" move, and when I came home from work I plugged it all in (with the old router) and I can now access my DNS-323 again (pshew!). I'm copying all my files over to a firewire drive before I fiddle around with it further, but once that's done I'll pop into the admin panel and see what I might be able to do to make it play nice with the AirPort Extreme. I think I tried setting up an FTP server on it a long time ago and gave up, so maybe it has something to do with a setting I changed back then.

Thanks for your help. Wish me luck!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MacBook Pro
Or not so good ...

So, my Mac is connected to the DNS-323 via the old router, and I just pulled all the files off it onto a firewire drive for safekeeping, but I'm unable to go in and config the NAS. I tried the default IP (192.168.0.32), but it just times out. I opened the linksys router's admin tool to see the DHCP client table, and the only thing that's been assigned an IP address is my Mac. How would I go about finding out the IP address of the DNS-323? Or is it probably the default IP, but something is preventing me from logging in?

As a last-ditch effort I suppose I could just put a new pair of drives in the thing and start from scratch. Ugh. :(

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz MacBook Pro
Happy ending

Actually, problem solved. Turns out I had set a static IP long ago -- I was digging around and I found a screengrab I had made of the settings in case I had any trouble down the line. I'm gonna go back in time now and thank myself...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, problem solved. Turns out I had set a static IP long ago -- I was digging around and I found a screengrab I had made of the settings in case I had any trouble down the line. I'm gonna go back in time now and thank myself...

Actually, setting a static IP is a good thing to make connectivity more seamless. I've found that DNS resolution of devices on my LAN can be iffy at times, so if that IP address changes with DHCP, it can be annoying.

Glad to hear you've got it working again.

You mentioned that you popped in two new drives. Now might be a good time to update the firmware, as there have been a couple of fairly recent revisions. And since those drives are blank, do a reformat after the update. I've found that making firmware changes can sometimes wreak havoc on my RAID1 config.

Reaction score
For anyone with the same problem.....

The easiest way is to plug the DNS-323 into your old router, access the DNS-323 via it's usual IP address (or name), make sure you reset it back to DHCP. Then power it down.

Plug it into the new router. Power it up and wait for it to get the new IP address. (This can take a while - you will hear the hard drives spin up fast and then give it another 15 seconds and it should be right). You can then find the new IP address via the new router logs or unless you can guess the IP address :p

Hope this helps someone out there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, ATV, Time Capsule, Iphone 3g,
Sounds like I have the same problem

Hi,

Sounds like I went thru the same upgrade path and have the exact same problem as the OP.

I tried the last advice on this thread, to take off the static ip address, reboot with the new router (time capsule) but I'm still not able to read my dns 323 share drive.

I can if I go back to my old Linksys router but not with the new set up.

Is there a way to find out what the ip address and when I do where do I place it. I'm sorry but am a little foreign to the airport and network size.

Should I delete my airport set up and re do a new one? Hopefully the time capsule will read it now that I have reset the dns 323 back.

Also since I took off the static address I’m not able to log back to the dlink software.
If I have to return back to square one and reformat the drive I’m ok with that since I already have that drive backed up but I’m not able to chance anything with emulation on the dlink site.

I’m just looking to get it to show up on the share point at this point.

As a side note:
I was reading all over that some had problems with SL and the dns 323 mounting correctly but I've had no problems when I installed SL on my MBP.
I currently have FW ver 1.07 on the dns 323.

Please does anyone have any suggestions as to my next step?

Thank you
Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, ATV, Time Capsule, Iphone 3g,
Hi all,

Just wanted to follow up from my last post.

All is good; airport express finally recognized the DNS 323 share drive.

I really don't know how or why but after following the instructions of the last post and letting it run for a very long while the drive showed up.
Maybe it was due to the 1tb of info.

I'm still not able to boot up into the DNS 323 program, after I log in the password I receive an "only for admin" type of msg. I made sure I logged in as the admin.

My new question if someone can please help me is:

Should I set a static ip address again for the dns 323 like I had previously, is there a need?

Reason being I was not very happy with my older Linksys N router and that was one of the main reasons why I went with the TC.
I use to have problems with my ATV running Boxee and not able to find the DNS drives untill I gave it a static ip address then all was heaven.

Thanks,

Michael.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use a static IP that is easy to remember and then I put a record in each of the HOSTS files on my machines to make sure that they always know where to look when I browse out to 'DNS-323'. It works great.

Reaction score
Bumping this in hope for an easier solution

Hi,

Great thread! Lots of good stuff, but also old stuff.

I've got the dlink NAS and I love it. My husband has a Mac computer that had issues with the old router (Apple so touchy) and we got an Airport Extreme instead of a Netgear router.

I can access the NAS now and I know I set it on a static IP, and that the old router was DHCP.

Now, please - pretty please with suger on top, let me have an easier way of getting to the admin site of the NAS then hooking up the old router to my computer and then the nas... A nice little hack?

Or prehaps setting the Airport Extreme to a different IP? The same as the old router? Could that be done?

Reaction score
My solution/fix

FYI I solved it doing this (very little actually)

I resetted the NAS twice, once with the network cable plugged in, and once with the cable unplugged. Then I did nothing and a day later it appeared on the network, like magic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.