Help organize my music folder

Reaction score
So, I use iTunes. My music library is just under 4,000 songs. For the most part, I like iTunes a lot and how it organizes my music. But I have a lot of empty/pointless folders in my music folder that i want to delete. But that isn't the problem. The thing is, I can't just download a utility that deletes empty folders because while there are many empty folders, the majority of the folders won't be considered empty by a utility that is looking for empty folders to delete. For example there are lots of folders that have no music in them, but may have one JPG file or one readme text document that i don't need and i want to delete all the folders like that.

Here is my bottom line question: Is there a way to automatically delete any folder that does not contain audio files? And does anyone have any suggestions to an alternative for getting rid of these useless folders? (besides deleting them each individually...)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could probably write a small shell/python/perl/ruby script to do this for you. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough in any of those to give you a script that I would have confidence in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.