• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

importing MiniDV with USB?

Reaction score
I got a new mac book and it has no fire wire only usb. i cant figure out how to get video off my older sony mini dv cam on to mac.

is there certain software i need? my mac book has final cut pro 5.1 but all the options on final cut are firewire o_0

please help me out tell me how to get video off my cam.

im new to the whole mac thing so dont bash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Apples says you bought the low end so you can't do that, as of the current Macbook line. In other words there isn't a direct digital way to do it with your low end Macbook as opposed to a Macbook Pro. Yes, a lot of people are up set about this. It doesn't even affect me, currently, and I'm upset about this decision to remove firewire.

One option is to import via another computer that has firewire. You could buy an older tower cheaply that would do the trick.

The only other way currently is to use a USB box (something like a Elgato Hybrid TV) to import the signal via analog and then convert if needed to a format for your editor.

Some people have hope that a USB to Firewire converter will work one day. I highly doubt that will occur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
You could buy a Pinnacle USB device for the Mac (it costs $100 new) that lets you import any video source with a composite output (to go into the composite input jacks on the USB device that comes with it) and you import into the software it comes with. Then you can edit that with your copy of Final Cut. The quality of the video doesn't change considering that MiniDV isn't the greatest for video anyway. Anyway, it's working for me to import my videos from my MiniDV camera onto my new aluminum MacBook, and editing that with iMovie '09 has worked out easily for me! It may not be as convenient as just having a MacBook Pro, but you save at least $400, about a pound off your back, and a little space too!

Reaction score
I am buying a Canon xl1s and I was wondering if I need to buy a firewire to get the film of the camera to use in Final Cut? If not what do I need to get rolling? Thank you if you can..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I am buying a Canon xl1s and I was wondering if I need to buy a firewire to get the film of the camera to use in Final Cut? If not what do I need to get rolling? Thank you if you can..

I know **** well I answered this already for you. Looks like it didn't take. Anyway...

You don't buy 'a firewire'. It is a firewire port and cable you would need. If you have the latest Macbook you are out of luck and need to look at other options. To read the video from the camera you need a firewire port on your computer and the appropriate cable to hook the two together.

Before spending a bunch of money on a camera and software, I think you need to learn the lingo and technology. It sounds to me that you are getting ahead of your self.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.