Blue screen after 2009 Security update

Reaction score
I got the dreaded blank blue screen after installing the lastest 2009 security update on my 2006 iMac (OS X 10.4). I tried following the hints given here for fixing this situation:

Tutorial: Startup fails (particularly after a system or security update); solving - MacFixIt

My iMac won't boot into Safe Mode. It will boot into Single-User mode, so I ran fsck and it says the HD is okay. I also deleted the caches and plist files, but that didn't help at all.

I can't boot from the OS X install disk - it just kicks the disk out of the drive every time. This may be the result of my 3-year old having stuffed business cards into the drive - I didn't realize this until I went to put the install disk in, and saw 3 cards sticking out. I pulled those out, but it's possible there are more cards still in the drive that I can't see.

Any other suggestions, short of taking the machine to the nearest Apple Store?

- Thanks, Kevin

Reaction score
Hi, I just downloaded the 2009 Security Update and then shut the unit down (PowerMac G4 400mhz with 1.25gb) Came home today, and it was sticking on the blue login screen.....oh dear, I thought MAC OSX was brilliant?

Obviously not, I can't get it to boot into safe mode (after 15 tries, I decided that was enough) I can access the Open OS section, but thats no good, and I attempted to access the single user mode with no success

I don't have a OS boot disc, due to the unit being second hand...seems like Im in a right rut

OP
B
Reaction score
Neon - I ended up taking mine to the Genius Bar... they could boot from an external USB drive, but repairing permissions from that didn't help... eventually they did an archive/re-install of OSX, which worked - all my files ended up in the "previous systems" directory, and I just had to copy them over to the new user.

That may be the route you have to take...

- Kevin

Reaction score
Neon - I ended up taking mine to the Genius Bar... they could boot from an external USB drive, but repairing permissions from that didn't help... eventually they did an archive/re-install of OSX, which worked - all my files ended up in the "previous systems" directory, and I just had to copy them over to the new user.

That may be the route you have to take...

- Kevin

The Genius Bar is the tech section of the Apple Store? (Sorry Im not really a Mac person) and Do they even have them in England?

If I was to get a hold of a copy of Tiger OS X and insert the Disc (without logging in) would that work? would it automatically boot the disc?

Since my Local Apple store is some 40 miles away :S

Thanks!

Reaction score
I managed to get into Single user mode and I ran FSCK, apparently the Macintosh HD is okay....so no problem there

Ran into verbose mode and it says it has a core utility error......no idea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.