Alt = Option on Windows Keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
The one thing I missed most when going Mac was the gaming hardware. I LOVED my G15 keyboard, but since I tossed my Windows system out, I sold that keyboard and started using an Apple Wired Keyboard for my Mac when I was home.

But now Logitech has given the G15 Mac Support. It's still in Beta, but it looks promising.

On my MBP, I have a Boot Camp Setup with Vista. The concern I have is that to enter the OS selection screen, I need to hold down the Option key. On a Windows Keyboard, does the "Alt" key takes its place? or will it not recognize it at all if I hold down the Alt key?

I'm only asking because I don't have a USB Windows keyboard to test it, and if I was to rebuy a G15 keyboard, I need to know that it works in both Windows, Mac, but more importantly, Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
You're correct. When using a Mac keyboard in Windows (or vice versa),

Alt = Option
Windows = Command

OP
iLaw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that means I will be able to activate Boot Camp using a Windows Keyboard?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So that means I will be able to activate Boot Camp using a Windows Keyboard?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just hold down the Alt key.

OP
iLaw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome. Thanks all for your input.

I'm going to buy my new G15 today :)

Reaction score
answer

The one thing I missed most when going Mac was the gaming hardware. I LOVED my G15 keyboard, but since I tossed my Windows system out, I sold that keyboard and started using an Apple Wired Keyboard for my Mac when I was home.

But now Logitech has given the G15 Mac Support. It's still in Beta, but it looks promising.

On my MBP, I have a Boot Camp Setup with Vista. The concern I have is that to enter the OS selection screen, I need to hold down the Option key. On a Windows Keyboard, does the "Alt" key takes its place? or will it not recognize it at all if I hold down the Alt key?

I'm only asking because I don't have a USB Windows keyboard to test it, and if I was to rebuy a G15 keyboard, I need to know that it works in both Windows, Mac, but more importantly, Boot Camp.

You can use any USB keyboard on a MAC you just have to have it plugged into the correct USB slot, which is on the back of the tower, the lowest one. Put your USB mouse on the one above.
Hold down on a windows USB keyboard the following -
Windows = CMD Alt = Option
Windows+Alt+P+R - flash the PRAM
Hold down C to boot from CD ROM drive for install discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You can use any USB keyboard on a MAC you just have to have it plugged into the correct USB slot, which is on the back of the tower, the lowest one. Put your USB mouse on the one above.
Hold down on a windows USB keyboard the following -
Windows = CMD Alt = Option
Windows+Alt+P+R - flash the PRAM
Hold down C to boot from CD ROM drive for install discs.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I hope that you realize that you were posting to a 7 year old thread? Just saying - probably should be closed at this point by a mod. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.