Yet another iBook Power up problem post!!!

S

satshere

Hi my fellow MAC lovers,

One of my mates borrowed my iBook and screwed the power supply pin (the one which lights up amber or green etc.) which connects into the iBook's power input socket. basically he forced it into the ibook and so it got ripped. The i book has been lying idle for the last 5 months now. Now i bought a new charger and had to change the power socket board of the iBook as well as there was still some thing stuck in it and the new charger's plug won't go in.... Fine. The battery now gets charged and every thing seems to be fine... but.....

Now after going through all the trouble, the iBook simply refuses to power on while on the battery and even when i connect the power supply, it doesn't come on!

I took it to an authorised apple service person and he says the boot up cycle is going on as the light on the power plug is red first when we press the power button with the power supply plugged in and then it turns green. but there is no noise etc and the laptop doesn't get on. he told me that the logic board has to be manually reset by opening the case as it has been lying idle for the last 5 months.

Is it true?? the apple site says that resetting the PMU is as simple as a combination of key strokes!!

I don't know if the problem is more serious as i am in a fix whether to believe the service person or the apple website.....

have you had such an experience??

Thanks in advance.

satshere

"The world seems so beautiful when you have a MAC!!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well the PMU can be reset through a set of keystrokes, not sure if it's different for G3 iBooks, but this is on the apple website:

iBook (16 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 32 VRAM)
iBook (32 VRAM)
iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM)
iBook (Early 2003)
iBook (800 MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (900 MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook (14.1 LCD 900 MHz 32 VRAM)
iBook G4
iBook G4 (14-inch)
iBook G4 (Early 2004)
iBook G4 (14-inch Early 2004)
For iBook (16 VRAM) computers and later models of iBook, there is no physical reset button.

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

If yours is older, you should have a reset button just above the headphone jack. If so, follow this procedure:

iBook (Dual USB), iBook (Late 2001) and iBook (14.1 LCD)

If the computer is on, turn it off.
Disconnect the AC power adapter.
Remove the battery.
Press and release the reset button (shown here) located above the Audio/Video port on the left side of the iBook (Dual USB) computer by inserting the end of a paper clip into the small hole and gently pressing the switch once.
Wait 5 seconds.
Reconnect the AC power adapter.
Put the battery back in the computer.
Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

Hope this works!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.