Help, what cable do I get to connect my Mac to an LCD?

Reaction score
Hey Anyone,

I have the Aluminum MacBook and need a cable to connect my macbook to my LG LCD.

Amazon.com: LG LG 20LS7D 20 " High definition TV: Electronics

That is the LCD I have. I dont need it to be HD Clear. I just want it to look good, and actually work.

I was going to buy some mini dvi adapter thing from apple but im not sure.

I need this tomorrow so if anyone can help, that would be great.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You'll need one of these

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
You'll also have to come up with a way to use your audio. Hit up Radio Shack and get a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo (male-male) cable to go from your MacBook to the TV's audio input. That's only if you're planning on using the TV's built-in speakers, though. Otherwise, you can just plug the speakers directly into the MacBook.

As for video, VGA probably is the best option, which is a shame. So if you need this right now, just get the VGA adapter and buy a male-male VGA cable from Monoprice.com, and you'll be set. However, if you want to use this long-term, I'd strongly recommend going HDMI instead.

For only $12.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini Display Port to HDMI Adapter | Mini Display Port to DVI / VGA Adapter

Monoprice is the place to get cables and adapters. They have Mini DisplayPort adapters of all kinds for significantly cheaper than Apple, but the problem is that they're all out of stock (must be too many people going to them instead of buying them from Apple). If they were in stock, though, I'd strongly recommend buying from them instead. But you'll have to buy the VGA adapter from Apple in order to get it anytime soon. At least you can buy the VGA cable from Monoprice, if you don't already have one.

Anyway, when that Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is finally in stock, you should consider getting it along with an HDMI cable and use that. You should see better picture quality and it'll carry the audio as well, so you'll only need the one cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's actually little difference between VGA and HDMI in terms of quality, especially at that TV's resolution of 1366 x 768. Then there's the fact that the VGA connector is a lot less finicky than the HDMI one. Finally, smaller TVs are limited in their input options, so it's probably not a good idea to use the sole HDMI connector and have the VGA connector go to waste.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.