keyboard remap issue in leopard

Reaction score
So I remapped my Control key to do Command function. I decided I want to go back again. AND IT WONT LET ME. Its stuck like this. And I won't change any of my other keyboard remappings anymore either. WHY!? THANKS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you tried rebooting the machine after restoring the keyboard back to normal? If you didn't, try that first. If you did, take a look here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

If you see a layout file in the directory "Keyboard Layouts", delete it. BUT first make a backup of the file to a safe place where you can find it in case you need to restore it.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help. I looked to see if there was a keyboard layout, there isnt.

Hmm, I wonder if this is connected to another issue. When the computer was given to me, it was registered as "Mac", but when I received it, I went into accounts and switched it to my name. So, for example, in Users, all I have is "Mac" and "Shared", but when I go into accounts, the admin, is actually benbowles. Could this be connected to the problem? Again, thank you so much

do you have any other ideas?

OP
B
Reaction score
ps yes I did restore to defaults, then restarted, even treid turning it off once.

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem:

I originally remapped CTRL/control to make my transistion from Windows easier, and after a while I wanted to change back. I restored the default settings via the "keyboard/mouse" -> "special keys" panel (exact names might be wrong, I use Leopard in Swedish), but whenever I reboot the computer, the key mapping have reverted back and I have the CTRL and control keys shifted around.

The "special keys" panel shows the keys as being mapped to their original functions even when this isn't the case.

Bowlesbe - did you find a solution eventually? I don't have any files in "Keyboard layouts" directory either.

If anyone reading this has any suggestions, I'd be really glad for any help. I have a MacBook running the latest Leopard version.

Best regards,

/h.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.