Itunes won't open

Reaction score
My Itunes won't open. It has been fine, but just today - no go. In the past, it would open when I synced my ipod, or when I clicked on the icon in the tray. My datebook and things do seem to be syncing, but no itunes window opens. Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try this:

open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type the following in:
Code:
cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
./iTunes

See if it opens. If not, at least you'll get an error message.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi vansmith
I tried it. It didn't open and this is what I got (I tried it a couple of times.)Last login: Wed Feb 18 13:01:16 on console
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ ./iTunes
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ ./iTunes

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried it again and this is what I got:Last login: Wed Feb 18 15:39:00 on console
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes
-bash: cd: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes: Not a directory
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$
Does that mean anything?
thanks for your help

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes
-bash: cd: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes: Not a directory
That command is wrong, hence the "not a directory" error.

From your first attempt, nothing appears to be wrong. Is there a glowing blue dot under iTunes in the dock? It could just be hidden.

Right click the icon and choose "Show".

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, there is a glowing blue dot, but when I control click on the icon "Show" isn't an option - "Hide" is there or else "Show in Finder."

OP
S
Reaction score
I just noticed that it pops up when I hit F3, but as soon as I click on it, it appears to hide *under the dock* - weird.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you not just move it out from under the dock?

OP
S
Reaction score
nope, I can't get at it. It rapidly goes under the dock and disappears. It's really bizzare. The only way I can see it at all is to press F3 and then the next time I click on anything, it slides away again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.