Airport Express: Securing Network

Reaction score
Hello - I recently purchased the Airport Express to connect my MacBook and MacBook Pro wiressely via a cable modem Internet connection. I installed the Airport Express CD to both computers and have the Internet up and running.

My question is security.
By installing the disk, is the wireless network available only to the my 2 computers? (I'm doubting this ... but I don't know)

If not, can someone explain to me how to secure my wireless network using Airport Express?

The reason I don't think I'm secure is ... when I click to see if I'm connected, my connection does not show a lock ...

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Open airport utility on either of your Macs.

Click Manual Setup - Wireless 'tab'

I'd suggest using WPA2 Personal security and 802.11n 5Ghz if it's just your two Macs on the network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks mrplow ... one question to clarify if you are around ... can you refresh me on where to open airport utility? is that in systems preferences?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks mrplow ... one question to clarify if you are around ... can you refresh me on where to open airport utility? is that in systems preferences?

It's in Applications => Utilities => Airport Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.