"Open always with" does not always open with assigned app

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble assigning applications to always open certain file-types, for example I want .doc files to always open in Pages rather than textedit, and PDFs in Preview rather than adobe reader.

It should be pretty straight forward; right click the file -> "Open with" -> "Other" -> when in the "Choose Application" guide select whatever app you want to open a certain file with, in my case Preview for PDF files, and mark "Open always with". "Open".

However, it's not quite that simple. Double-clicking a PDF-file will not open it in Preview, as I just instructed it to do, but in adobe reader.

What can I do to make sure it opens in the application that I want it to open in? (Besides right-clicking and going through the hassle of selecting the right app every single time).

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
right click, select Get Info, on the panel about halfway down is a drop down where you specify the application (similar as you described), choose whatever you want and then below click on Change All

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.