How many gigs does OS X take up?

C

code777

Curious, after deleted a few apps I never use and clearing out some old files it looks like I have 25.65GB available. Does this seem weird? I'm just worried I may have deleted "too" much? maybe not. I'm only utilitzing 2.17GB and I assume that is OS X. Total GB is really 27.82. Oh well, maybe I'm being paranoid...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
25,65GB available? I'm down to 3,68GB here, what did you trash?

OP
C

code777

i trashed a ton of apps i never use. all the games, zino reader, quicken05, etc... used delocalizer, geez, tons of stuff i trashed...

OP
M

mangoSharingan

code777 said:
i trashed a ton of apps i never use. all the games, zino reader, quicken05, etc... used delocalizer, geez, tons of stuff i trashed...

I'm assuming you got the 30GB hard drive right? How many GBs did you have free when you first used your iBook? I think I had between 19 and 21GBs left or something, which I was kinda disappointed with. But then again, I didn't really buy an iBook to store loads of stuff, although I have put my entire music collection on there so that I can listen in bed or something, and easily transfer it to my iPod Shuffle which I will be getting soon! I also admit that I have a few games on there too....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the normal panther installation takes up between 2.5 to 3 gigs, those apps were taking space for no reason, as long as you only deleted apps you dont use that come installed on new macs.

OP
C

crisrose

i only had 18GB free on my 30gb HDD when i got my iBook :eek:

What on earth do you still have on that thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also just ran delocalizer and I freed up around 800MB...

I've also deleted a bunch of other stuff I never use and have around 5GB free again.

Still - I think it's time to consider moving part of the 18GB music collection ;)

OP
C

code777

i can't remember everything i deleted but here goes:

iDVD
Nanosaur 2
Chess
Marble Blast
IE 5
Quicken 05
Zino reader (or whatever)

Used DeLocalizer
Used OnyX
Deleted a bunch of preinstalled wallpapers

Can't think of anything else at this time. But everything works, i'm just surprised at how much space I have available.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Still - I think it's time to consider moving part of the 18GB music collection ;)
Yes, got the same problem with my music collection. I keep opening it up and thinking 'What can I trash, maybe some music that I haven't listened to for a while' .Of course this doesn't work, I just end up re-discovering music.

I can remember that after a clean install a while back I had used about 5 gigs of space so thats probably normal. This is without the games and so forth that are bundled with the ibook. Those were the days, now I'm lucky to get 5gigs of free space, so many files and they are all needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking:

a)I can either offload my music to an external harddrive - but since I use my iBook as my primary home music source, I'd have to always leave the harddrive connected... not so great.

b)I can delete some old music/stuff I've never listened to - But I know I'll regret it someday, so I can't that route either.

c)I can compromise and leave only the "core" of my collection on the iBook and move the "archives" off to the external...

d)I can upgrade the internal harddrive to 100GB when my warranty expires.

No really attractive options... laptop harddrives are still so expensive!

Reaction score
I've started using the 'My rating' function at late. I give the songs I'm listening to a rating using the 'itunesrating' program that puts the rating in the menu bar. This way being handy as you don't have to switch programs to rate the songs. Then I just go into itunes when I'm in need of some extra space and trash all the files with one star.

OP
T

titan0111

Hmm...since I am a newbie...

I won't be deleting bunch of stuff...

without knowing...someday I may need to use those apps...

So~ I am going for 160GB external HDD...

Reaction score
titan0111 said:
Hmm...since I am a newbie...

I won't be deleting bunch of stuff...

without knowing...someday I may need to use those apps...

So~ I am going for 160GB external HDD...
Make sure it's a firewire or USB2 one. I've got a 250GB maxtor external HD , works well and looks cool (silver-blue) but the fan makes a bit of noise and is on full whack at all times. :biohazard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.