Safari PDF problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Clicking on a link in safari to open a PDF file, I get an error message saying "Adobe PDF viewer can not find a compatible Adobe Acrobat or Adobe reader to view this program".
I have tried going into preferences to set a program to open, could not find the setting area. Firefox uses Preview with no problems.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Same situation & more

I have the same situation. I tried installing Adobe 9.1. Installation seemed to work until I tried to open a PDF file through Safari and got the same message as vince0501. Tried opening Adobe and got "an internal error has occured."
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
In my opinion, Adobe is awful. They released an update today (FINALLY) for a security hole found awhile ago. Why not use the built-in Preview?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I just tried opening a pdf link on Safari and got the message "Adobe PDF viewer can not find a compatible Adobe Acrobat or Adobe reader to view this program".
How do I set Preview as the default?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/ 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo/ 1 GB RAM
I believe this is how you do it:

1. Close Safari.
2. Open Adobe Reader
3. Go to Preferences->Internet and uncheck the box next to Display PDF in Browser using Adobe Reader.

This should then cause Safari to use Preview by default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.