Two routers/2 bands/one network

Reaction score
My new MBP and routers will be here any day and I have a few questions about how to set the routers up. Here is what I want to do:

We have a mix of N capable Mac's in the house as well as G only capable windows PC's. I got a Time Capsule and an AEBS. I want to take the TC and set it up in my office under the 5 MGZ. band broadcasting N only. I would run the Cat5 from the cable modem to the WAN port on the TC.

I want to set the AEBS up in my wife's office. I want it to broadcast G only @ 2.4 Mgz. I will run a hard line Cat5 from the Gigabit port on the TC to the AEBS. Question: Does it plug into the WAN port on the AEBS or another Gigabit port?

I believe I can take care of all the appropriate settings for each router in the Airport utility?

Also, do I need any special wiring of the cat5 cable to get gigabit speeds? Generally when I crimp the connectors on I just math the wiring on each end...Is that correct?

I'm not a noobie with routers but I am completely new to Mac's. My plan is to set up the new MBP using my old router/network and get all of the updates done and then connect the TC. Get that set up and working and then add the AEBS. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
You will run the CAT5 cable from the Ethernet port on the TC to the WAN port on the AEBS and you will put the AEBS in Bridge Mode.

If you put the CAT5 in the ethernet port of the AEBS, it will not share any network connection wirelessly.

Bridge mode is basically a pass thru, no NAT or Port Forwarding. You're simply linking the wireless radio to the wired network.

Be sure to choose a different wireless name for your G and N networks, as to not confuse capable computers from differentiating between the two.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks!...That's what i thought...I assume I can put the AEBS in Bridge mode and name it as something different through the Airport Utility?....this is my first MAC and the machine comes tomoorow....After I set up the laptop I am going to start changing out the routers, etc....I may have some more questions....This is helpful so thanks again!

OP
F
Reaction score
Worked like a charm!!....Once I had the MPB set up I switched the first router....had to manually configure the DNS etc...Then just added the second....Piece of cake!!....I LOVE MAC!!....Thanks for your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.