Real Help needed for new Mac and News Group user

Reaction score
Hello, Please help me I feel useless.

I recently won 2 MAC Mini at work, if anyone is interested they are the DTS - 1 x Core 2 Duo 2 GHz - RAM 1 GB - HDD 1 x 120 GB - DVD±RW (±R DL) and I only need one.

I use to use a bit torrent download engine on my windows laptop before it died of a servere virus infection. Someone mentioned I should use Newsgroups and my MAC, especially as I now have a 20mb broadband connection,as I will get a much better service and no viruses. I have looked into it and the more I read the more confused I really get from what I understand I need some type of outlook express equivalent, two types of software to browse news groups and sign up to a newsgroup.

Could someone direct me to a guide for dimwits on everything I need to do and download and set up and search for copyright free content/videos. I will not use this for any illegal activites so I do not think I am breaking any rules asking for this information.

So to recap

[*]The mac is out of the box new

[*]What software do I need to download and how does it tie in with the other software also is there a cost associated with the software (no need to say how much but so I know if its a free software or whether I need to pay for it)

[*]How can I view the video content (copyright free), do I need to import it into different software?

[*]And if I wanted to make a DVD out of the video content (copyright free) to play on a DVD player do I need a MAC equivilant to the windows Nero?

I am sorry if I seem really dumb to some people, if you are kind enough to reply to me could you also treat me like a simple school child with the way you explain things please.

I thank you so much in advance for anyones help. I am from London in the UK if that helps with anything you need to know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
G
Reaction score
thank you but i really wanted to use the newsgroup to do this, any other help from anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
[*]How can I view the video content (copyright free), do I need to import it into different software?

Once you've downloaded the video, just click on it and it will open in Quicktime. If you have a problem playing it in Quicktime, download perian. It will allow quicktime to play just about anything.

[*]And if I wanted to make a DVD out of the video content (copyright free) to play on a DVD player do I need a MAC equivilant to the windows Nero?

The Mac version of Nero will be Toast. Its a very nice burn software for pretty much anything you will need to burn. Its made by Roxio. It does cost money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.