Screen stain on my iMac 24"

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of iMac 24" until this unexplainable "screen stains" if i may call it started appearing, for me its more of a dust buildup than screen burn, i read alot of forums lately and i found out that the problem is VERY common on all iMac 24". I've been using my unit for almost a year now (just got an email reminding me of warranty extension) a recall of this batch will be greatly appreciated. Its my first MAC and i instantly fell in love with it, but it was short lived because of the screen thing. I think Apple don't make the screens for this product. Please advise the best thing to do.:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Define "screen stain" for us. What exactly is wrong with the screen? Splotches of color? Lines? Stripes? Dust behind the glass? What?

BTW, do you smoke? I've seen discolored screens due to folks smoking and sitting in front of their computer monitor. Smoke stains can actually get behind the monitor glass due to air being drawn in to the machine via the cooling fans.

Anyway, I advise you to extend your warranty with Apple. Buy Applecare, it's well worth it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Overclocked and modded
Is the discolouration on the left side top of the screen? The Cooling fans and power supply are on that side and I have seen several systems where very fine dust builds up behind the glass on that side. A good cleaning behind the glass can usually fix it.

Reaction score
Well, looks like this problem has not been solved since the last post here.
Been checking around.

And I still have my stains. (Screen shots don't show it as the stains are actually inside the LCD itself.) They started about a month after buying the machine and I was told it was not covered by the warranty and I've have to pay for a replacement.
Others seem to have had more luck. So, I need to take it to the store, but it means not working for however long it takes.... assuming I can get it done this time.

It appears to be a design flaw. I'm still checking the many links on google to see how others are faring with the same issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580 is still hot.
dirty-screen.com has over 200 people subscribed....

How come the issue is not being addressed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2300580 is still hot.
dirty-screen.com has over 200 people subscribed....

How come the issue is not being addressed?

As the above discussion points out, this is something you need to take up with Apple support. Our forums are in no way related to or affiliated with Apple as we are volunteer peer to peer support.

Reaction score
I was really only throwing the question out there generally.

Contacting Apple support: - its been 3 years, Apple are not acknowledging the problem.
Check the official Apple support forum. (Link above.)

The problem grows. People aren't getting satisfactory answers.
The thread is currently running to 135,779 views.

dirty-screen.com/en has added +50 subscribers since I posted on here 2 days ago.

Some have had screens replaced several times under AppleCare but the problem returns, others, like me, were told its 'environmental conditions'. I run my machine in a very clean office space.

Tech-minded folks are seeing a design flaw.

But why the shoulder-shrugging silence anytime anyone brings the subject up? Its a technical issue isn't it?

My feeling is that Apple are about to pull mid-range desktops, that's why. But I don't actually know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.