Proud owner of new Imac tonight (my first *new* Mac!)

Reaction score
I must admit... After first getting into Macs a couple of years ago, I've taken advantage of my computer savvy & thriftiness by finding the best deals on solid used Macs & parts... generally making good running machines as affordably as possible.

But as a pro app user (Pro Tools), I was beginning to get a little frustrated at my lost time during work flow from using older machines. My MDD G4 tower is a good ol' computer, but just like wtching grass grow when using heavier apps.

As an admitted cheapskate, I went to my local Apple dealer tonight with the full intention of buying a Mini. However, my wife & I walked in and were gazing at the iMacs while waiting on the salesman.

My wife says, "Why don't you just get what you want & be happy?"

How cool is that??
She had a good point... The $1199 iMac is WAY more computer than the $799 mini.

So I got her fired up tonight, and all I can say is "Wow!"
Opened up a couple of large Pro Tools files, and it just absolutely breezes through edits & such.

Just thought I was share with you guys since I'm pretty excited. I could have went refurb or used, but I was excited to finally feel the shiny, new Apple experience. And hey, I did my part to help with the economy, right?? ha ha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
I must admit... After first getting into Macs a couple of years ago, I've taken advantage of my computer savvy & thriftiness by finding the best deals on solid used Macs & parts... generally making good running machines as affordably as possible.

But as a pro app user (Pro Tools), I was beginning to get a little frustrated at my lost time during work flow from using older machines. My MDD G4 tower is a good ol' computer, but just like wtching grass grow when using heavier apps.

As an admitted cheapskate, I went to my local Apple dealer tonight with the full intention of buying a Mini. However, my wife & I walked in and were gazing at the iMacs while waiting on the salesman.

My wife says, "Why don't you just get what you want & be happy?"

How cool is that??
She had a good point... The $1199 iMac is WAY more computer than the $799 mini.

So I got her fired up tonight, and all I can say is "Wow!"
Opened up a couple of large Pro Tools files, and it just absolutely breezes through edits & such.

Just thought I was share with you guys since I'm pretty excited. I could have went refurb or used, but I was excited to finally feel the shiny, new Apple experience. And hey, I did my part to help with the economy, right?? ha ha

That is awesome! I share your enthusiasm! The first iMac I bought was in 1999 then I bought another one last year. Holy smokes what a difference!

Good luck with the new one!

Reaction score
This is not a reply to you Jchance but is a request for some help. I am about to buy first Mac. I am looking at 24inch I am buying from, best buy. Is ther a new Mac coming out soon? Should I wait? is Best Buy? Need some help Am I posting in the right area

Please check my post, it might help you in choosing what iMac you should buy

Reaction score
Awesome. The mini is definately overpriced, especially compared to the iMac. The iMac is definately a better buy! I'm also after a new mac, be it an iMac, Mini or Mac Pro, I really can't decide!

Reaction score
=D Congrats, got my 20in imac at crimbo. whats the spec of yours btw? just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD; 160GB iPod; no iPhone...yet!!!!
'Tis great when the wife takes that approach. I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. My hp 17" laptop had been abruptly shutting down recently (well, shutting down is a misnomer as it went through no shut down steps, but just cut off like pulling the plug with no battery in) and I had complained about wanting to get a new computer and perhaps jumping to Mac. Imagine my surprise when in Best Buy a few days later and she pointed to the 24" iMac and said I should probably just get that one. I ended up going through Apple's online education store, but not only did she want me to get the big screen but was very supportive of the modifications I made to the one I ordered. What a gal! Lord knows the Mac would be a lot less fun if the wife was grousing about it now!

Reaction score
What a great wife you have! Congrats on your new machine. I have had my iMac around 4 months now and it still pleases me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.