iDVD '08: can't edit title text, theme not working

Reaction score
Help. It's Tuesday night and I have to present this DVD at my aunt's memorial on Sunday. I spent a week editing photos to music in iMovie and now I have burned two days wrangling with this DVD issue to no avail.

I have read the iDVD '08 tutorial pdf. I have an iDVD project created. I chose the iMovie I made for the DVD. I chose the theme. I want to give the main menu a basic title, no submenus, nothing else. But the tutorial says that to add text, "Make sure that the project’s main menu is open, and then choose Project > Add Text." Whenever I click Project > Add Text, the "click to edit text" box that is supposed to appear does not appear. I have worked on this for hours, clicking on the three bottom center buttons and then trying Project > Add Text, or clicking Themes, Buttons and Media and trying it, but I never get a box in which to edit text.

In addition, whatever theme I choose, it does not appear in my main screen either. The screen remains black. The screen does change size, widescreen or normal, as if it is trying to display the theme, but nothing else. I have trashed the .plist file several times, run Disk Utility to repair permissions several times, run AppDelete to delete all iDVD files, reinstalled iDVD, restarted the computer several times. Something is preventing the theme from appearing on screen and allowing me to edit title text. I find no evidence online of this having ever happened to anyone else.

I am running OX 10.5.6 on an Intel Mac with plenty of room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You should be able to just drag the movie/slideshow you made in iMovie from the media tab on the right to the project. Then it will display the title of the movie as whatever you saved it as. you can click on it title to highlight it and change it to whatever you want.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope, sorry

I can drag my media, yes. That's not the problem. Although, no, the movie doesn't allow me to click on it to change its name. Maybe there is some directory I need to fix in my system somewhere? Somebody? iDVD experts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I think you have to click 2 times, but slowly, like when changing the name of a file in finder or on the desktop. That is how I do it. Changing the name of movie and the title of the DVD. I usually change the dvd title to whatever the the movie title is. Then change the title of the movie to "Play Movie" or "Click to Play Movie" something along those lines.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's a theme issue

No, I have tried double clicking at all speeds on every surface of iDVD, this is not really the issue. My problem is themes don't load when chosen. I assume that when it works right, you choose a theme over on the right, the theme then appears on your main center screen, and the text box is editable, and you type your menu title. I get none of that. My screen remains black. Renaming my movie is not really the issue, but thanks for the post.

OP
G
Reaction score
Problem solved

I ran "software update" from the Apple menu this morning, and it turns out there was an update from iDVD 7 to 7.0.3. This fixed my themes problem! It all works now, and I burned a DVD from my project. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.