I can't change an icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Hey guys,

I've been changing a bunch of icons on my mac today, successfully, but for some reason I cannot change my InDesign CS4 icon.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What method were you using to change your icons?

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
copy and paste within the info windows, it worked for pretty much every other icon i did except InDesign

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What happens when you try? Do you get any error/warning messages?

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
nope, no message at all. when i click cmd-v i see the edit menu highlight, but the icon does not change. if i go to the menu and try to do it that way it also doesn't work. i feel it's just some weird glitch that cannot be fixed

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you right click and choose "Show Package Contents" and navigate to where the ICNS file is and copy over it, will that work?

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
you're a genius

thanks!

Reaction score
I've had the same exact problem with the InDesign icon. Only I didn't have any luck copying over the icns file. I saved over it, and now it doesn't recognize any icon. I've got some sort default icon now. Could anyone give me a little more detail on how to replace the icns file?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
there could be more locations where the icon is stored, when I wanted to change my NetBeans icon, I found 3 places and it only changed after I copied over the thrird .... anyway, when you do icon changes inside packages, it's a good idea to keep the original icon there (under a different name of course)

Reaction score
I renamed the original so I could keep it and tried to change it, when I couldn't, I tried changing the name of the original back to what it first would. Still wouldn't take. I can't get anything to work ...

Reaction score
InDesign icon change solution

If you've changed the icon in the package contents and yet the app still shows the old icon, open the info window for the app and select the icon and then cut the image (command + x).

It appears that beyond the icns in the resources there's a folder image pasted on the app as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.