Powerpoints copied to Mac don’t work

Reaction score
My son made several slideshows using Powerpoint on a PC. He didn’t make your typical powerpoint displays, but rather used drawing tools and imported images to make cartoons for fun. On some individual pages he made scenes with a series of movements, so the action would appear seamless. He used a timer function but I’m not sure if this was linked directly to the Powerpoint program or not.

When I got a Mac and copied these powerpoints over, they only worked in a limited way. Most stationary images remain visible on the page while others are not visible at all when you run the slideshow.

On some pages where he’s portrayed movement, previous images do not disappear when the following ones appear. To clarify, as I referred to before, on some pages he’d run several shots together to make the action flow like a regular cartoon. For example on one he had a car flying through the air. On the Mac you see this happen but each time the car moves you see the previous shots so it leaves a trail of images instead of just looking like a single moving object. On another there’s a stick figure running along and each previous image remains so you see several stickmen instead of one running figure.

I hope that’s clear enough; I understand this is a tricky question as I’m not talking about the typical use of the Powerpoint program, but if anyone could suggest anything I’d be grateful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you tell us what version of Powerpoint you're using on the Mac and which he was using on the PC?

OP
G
Reaction score
Well I'm not exactly sure about the PC but it came with Windows 2000 and the Mac one is called MS Powerpoint X for Mac: Service Release 1, on a Mac OSX.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Assuming that PC came with a new version of Office, it is probably 2000.

Are you looking to edit the ppt on your Mac or just view it? If you're just trying to view it, does the PC version of Office have some export options?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Office X is quite old, you might actually do better using OpenOffice.org instead of Microsoft Office to open them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Office X is quite old, you might actually do better using OpenOffice.org instead of Microsoft Office to open them.
I'll go one better and recommend NeoOffice ;). Although, I haven't tried v3 of OOo. Did they do a good job of making a native Mac port or does it still hold remnants of OOo past?

OP
G
Reaction score
Are you looking to edit the ppt on your Mac or just view it? If you're just trying to view it, does the PC version of Office have some export options?

I just want to view them without editing. Not sure about export options and didn't consider that at the time. So are OpenOffice and NeoOffice free and would it be worth downloading one and try opening with that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll go one better and recommend NeoOffice ;). Although, I haven't tried v3 of OOo. Did they do a good job of making a native Mac port or does it still hold remnants of OOo past?

I've been using OOo since they went with a native UI. I find it to be "snappier" than NeoOffice, particularly upon startup.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just want to view them without editing. Not sure about export options and didn't consider that at the time. So are OpenOffice and NeoOffice free and would it be worth downloading one and try opening with that?

Yes, both are free. Both are variants on the same underlying office suite. You can try either one and later remove it if you find you don't like it.

http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.neooffice.org

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NeoOffice right now is based off of a 2.x series OpenOffice unless you get the Early Access version which is based off of OpenOffice 3.0.

If you are using a PPC based Mac, you will have to go with NeoOffice. AFAIK, there is no PPC port of OpenOffice 3.0. You can use an early version of OpenOffice on a PPC Mac as long as you run it through X11 but at that point, you may as well use NeoOffice.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks heaps for the advice guys. I'll try NeoOffice and see how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.