All the writing on my mac has turned into the letter 'A'.

Reaction score
All the writing on my mac has turned into the letter 'A'.

I can not read anything. Everything has turned into a letter A in a box.

What is this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you mean when you type anything or all text on your screen is the letter A? If it's that, I guess you won't be able to read this response...

Have you d/l'ed anything you probably shouldn't have or d/l something from an untrustworthy site recently?

Is your keyboard broken (assuming the problem is typing text)?

OP
S
Reaction score
no. when i type its ok. i can get online no problem too.

on my desktop icons the text as all turned into the letter 'A'.

also the bar at the top of the screen.

i havent deleted anything. ive tried restarting the mac but it just comes up the same

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You have not got a virus, sounds like a font conflict

Try downloading MainMenu and cleaning up the font caches, also try and deactivate any fonts you might not need (do step one first)

OP
S
Reaction score
You have not got a virus, sounds like a font conflict

Try downloading MainMenu and cleaning up the font caches, also try and deactivate any fonts you might not need (do step one first)

Thanks. ive tried downloading it but my mac wont let me download anything now..

Its just saying checking for downloads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Does it not appear in the menu bar hence the title Main Menu? You have to operate the utility from there. Have you tried cleaning font caches from there? The icon is a + sign within a rectangle.

OP
S
Reaction score
Does it not appear in the menu bar hence the title Main Menu? You have to operate the utility from there. Have you tried cleaning font caches from there? The icon is a + sign within a rectangle.

yes ive found it now. and ive tried cleaning the font cache. nothing happened.

my menu bar reads like this AAAAAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAAAAAA

as does everthing on my mac.

I have to guess what im clicking on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Can you create a new user for your mac, the login to that name and see if you still have the issue? Just a thought.

Meg

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I have this exact same problem and it is getting really frustrating. My title bar it identical to yours. The tool bar and icon titles are AAAAA. I have found though that when i go into a folder on the desk top and change the way the contents is listed then I can see the document titles even though I can not see the name of the folder from the outside. However I can't read the title bar at all and when I go into view each heading the lists of options are all the same AAAAAAAAAAAAA

i will try all the suggestions here but they don't seem to have worked for you. I already have a second log in that I don't use and the same thing happens on that desktop too. Someone has suggested that I ditch everything I have and re-install my operating system, maybe that will work but it seems a bit drastic.

I hope someone out there knows what is going on.
meg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.