My airports is receiving a signal for the internet but cannot connect.

Reaction score
I have a 10.5 Mac desktop. It is receiving a signal for internet but refuses to connect. I am on Talk Talk and they have not been much help at all. The two other computers are in the same situation.

I have gone through every setting I can think of. My DCHP is on, the passwords are all correct. My sharing options are on.

Is there anything I may be missing that I should check?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds like your router is putting out a wireless network that you are connecting to OK. But it sounds like the router isn't connecting to the internet/ISP correctly.

Are you able to log onto the router?

What's the make and model of the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz Intel dual-core, 256MB video card, 1GB RAM, 60GB black iPod Video
Sounds like exactly the same problem I've been having. I already posted about it, but it sunk to page 3 in what I now realize is the wrong forum. If it helps diagnose the problem I think we both have I have found that I can connect via ethernet through the same router, or on other wireless networks. The router is the D-Link DIR-625 Rangebooster N Router.

OP
L
Reaction score
I do not want to sound like an idiot but how would I go about logging into the router?

My model is HG20b, I cannot remember the name off the top of my head (only have internet tat work :( but will find out. Its literally jsut the free one they sent me.

I am thinking of buying an apple airport station as we all have macs in my house. Would this be a better option or just grin and bare to come to some resolution as to why my router is so crappy?!

I am definitely picking up the signal, so it must be some setting on my computer. I just moved house so fear it may be an old setting perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just moved house?

Has your phone number changed? If so this may well be your problem. Talktalk use your phone number (inc code) as your internet connection username.

Does the internet work when you connect using a network cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Looks like it's not a problem of the router, rather the modem used to connect to the internet, it is possible that you have 2in1 and it's the same box .... make sure you have everything setup correctly (according to any details your provider gave you) and specially on the modem side, meaning the way your router/modem communicates with your provider ... am I making any sense? :D unfortunately this is different depending on provider and your connection

the usual setup is line>modem(can also work as a router)>wifi router working as an access point>network with computers

the router will have an IP address of it's own, so you just type the IP address in a browser to access it, it will probably ask for a user name and password ... if you have a separate modem and wifi router, they will each have a separate IP

well, at least that's how mine works

Personally I don't think the Apple station is much of a difference to anything else, but it's much more expensive and I doubt you even use the 802.11 encryption :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The talktalk router is an ADSL router inc modem.

As you seem to have internet access at work get this guide and run through the settings.

It talks you through logging into your router and establishing a connection. My money is still on the username differing now you've moved.

If you call talktalks automated password (0870 087 5562) line it reads out your usename (full phone number) and password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.