New To Macs

V

Verrminator

i just ordered an iBook. i work on PC's and know them well. i just thought it would be a good idea to start familiarizing myself with macs. also i found the price to be very reasonable for what i need.

there are a few things i don't know about.

1. will my iBook be able to connect to my wireless network? i have a linksys wireless router for my PC's at home. or do i need to buy one of those airports?

2. how does that Virtual PC work? would i be able to load windows and windows programs onto my iBook too? that would be very useful to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
1. yes, all you need is a airport card in your ibook, you dont need the base station.
2. yes itll work, but its usually slow and causes problems.

OP
V

Verrminator

thanks for your response. i have one more question. Store bought PC's are known for having tons of junk preloaded. how are macs? are they pretty clean when you buy them or do they have a bunch of useless trial programs like on PC's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
theyre pretty clean, but come with some full version software like ilife or some games or
a few useful apps.

OP
V

Verrminator

another question just came to me. do .wmv's work on mac's? a lot of websites use the windows media format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, go to versiontracker.com and download windows media player for os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Microsoft has .wmv players for OS X on their website

OP
V

Verrminator

Another question. I will be using the wireless feature on my iBook when I get it. How do I share files with other computers on my network but block other people from accessing my iBook wirelessly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when you setup your wireless connection, enable wep so a password is required to use the connection. once thats done, you can add things to the shared folder inside your useraccounts and setup sharing of libraries in apps like itunes.

OP
M

meltbanana314

In order to share files, you'll need to configure your wireless router to enable encryption, password protection, SSID hiding and MAC (not Mac as in Macintosh, but MEDIA ACCESS CONTROL) filtering to prevent people breaking into your connection (in fact, most people should do this anyway with their routers, but they usually don't...) - then, all you have to do is enable file sharing on your iBook (via System Preferences) and make sure the computers you're sharing files with are properly configured.

OP
V

Verrminator

i know about setting up the router to block outsiders from my network. does that also block them from my iBook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.