Keyboard Shortcuts

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few apps which share the same keyboard shortcuts.
(i.e. Web Developer Toolbar shft+cmd+C to view CSS, Firebug shft+cmd+C to Inspect Element)

WDT seems to get priority but I never use this feature. How do I choose which apps get priority for certain shortcuts?

many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
the active application should get the priority

by active I mean the application whose window you are currently using or which has focus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
how can you have two windows from different apps both with focus on them?

I hope some1 else can answer your question then :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
These are both Firefox addons, not apps, correct?

You can change the keyboard shortcut for any command in the Keyboard pane System Preferences. Just enter the exact menu command.

OP
V
Reaction score
yes addons not apps. sorry, bad examples.

I have sorted out the firefox shortcut conflict, but how would I do this for other applications?

I have looked at Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences and I cant workout how to add shortcuts for specifc tasks in specific applications.

OP
V
Reaction score
actually, I did not sort the problem in FireFox correctly. I just changed the shortcut in WDT to something else. What I want to know is...

How does my mac choose the applications or FF addons that get priority when 2 shortcuts are the same?

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but, if I understood him correctly, I think variouspixels has touched on an important issue, although perhaps not articulated his question very clearly.

I think I'm having a similar problem. I programmed a shortcut under "All Applications," but if the focussed application already has that shortcut assigned, mine does not override it.

Is there a way for the shortcut I programmed under "All Applications" to override the existing shortcut in the focussed app?

My shortcut is option-command-C, which doesn't work in Textedit, or in Safari with the developer toolbar enabled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.