Home studio

Reaction score
Hi all,

The reason that i am getting a macbook is to create a home studio recording.
I would like to purchase a multitrack and looking for a mid range which is not too expensive. Can anyone give me some tips on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My brother in law has created several CDs of his own music using a plain old second generation white Macbook with garageband. Granted he has all the instruments, mixing boards, mics, and other musical do-dads, but with his thousand dollar regular old one gig RAM Macbook he's been able to make what sounds at least to my ears (and his) like pro-quality recordings.

Reaction score
Well you could like at something like mackie tracktion or ableton live le, either of which wont break the bank.

Reaction score
I am a very active musician and am and have been in several bands, so I have tried just about everything on my mac, as well as actual studio equipment. I have found that when recording with a mac, garageband '09 is definitely the way to go unless you want to spend a ton of money. The only setbacks I have found when using garageband to record are:

1. Limit on the number of tracks (With my Mac Mini, I believe this is 15...I think its a RAM issue, so you should get a macbook pro if you need a ton of tracks per song)

2. NO BOUNCING...this is a major problem, but it can be worked around. When recording with my mac (usually for experimentation and nothing serious) and need more than 15 tracks, I mix everything and then export what I have as a song, and then treat the exported song as a bounced track.

Hope this helps

Also, it seems obvious but you will need to get an adapter to convert the 1/4 to 1/8 (1/8 right? Brain freeze) input that will be the mic input on your MB. If you don't want to get fancy, these cost around $4 at radioshack.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info MattGTO,

I already got myself a macbook, i am experimenting and if everything goes well, I will think of an upgrade at a later stage.

I am a very active musician and am and have been in several bands, so I have tried just about everything on my mac, as well as actual studio equipment. I have found that when recording with a mac, garageband '09 is definitely the way to go unless you want to spend a ton of money. The only setbacks I have found when using garageband to record are:

1. Limit on the number of tracks (With my Mac Mini, I believe this is 15...I think its a RAM issue, so you should get a macbook pro if you need a ton of tracks per song)

2. NO BOUNCING...this is a major problem, but it can be worked around. When recording with my mac (usually for experimentation and nothing serious) and need more than 15 tracks, I mix everything and then export what I have as a song, and then treat the exported song as a bounced track.

Hope this helps

Also, it seems obvious but you will need to get an adapter to convert the 1/4 to 1/8 (1/8 right? Brain freeze) input that will be the mic input on your MB. If you don't want to get fancy, these cost around $4 at radioshack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.