noticed this

Reaction score
i opened my macintosh hd and noticed something on the side a shared device thats called....
your-ae066c3a9b
ive never noticed it is it a virus or something how do i remove it or is this something normal i just havent payed attention too

OP
J
Reaction score
sorry to dp but one more thing i try to connect to this and it says i cant im new this macbook pro is my first apple computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Have you been anywhere and accessed anyone's wireless recently? I've noticed shares will come up and not go away when I've taken my Macbook to other places and logged into other people's wireless networks. It's kind of a bit of a bug with Finder and shares.

Alternatively, someone could be on your network and has a shared folder. Also you could be on someone else's wireless network and you're seeing the share. Macbooks are very tenacious about picking up and connecting to unsecured wireless networks. For example, I was recently at a friends house and woke up my Macbook with the intent on getting on her unbroadcasted, very secured wireless. While she was in the process of setting it up so I could be allowed on her network, my macbook obediently connected to someone else's network that because it was unsecured and default named (linksys) my Mac thought it was a 'remembered' wireless network!

Anyway, check in the Airport drop down to see what network to which you are connected. Make sure it's your own. If your network is unsecured, secure it with a WEP or WPA password. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Your Mac is pretty safe out of the box.

OP
J
Reaction score
yeah im stealing wireless til next friday when i get my internet installed so the ae066c3a9b thing is nothing?

OP
J
Reaction score
once again sorry for the dp but is there anyway to get that off my system

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
yeah im stealing wireless til next friday when i get my internet installed so the ae066c3a9b thing is nothing?

once again sorry for the dp but is there anyway to get that off my system

Yes, go over to the guy's house where you're stealing wifi from. Tell him it's real annoying having that share listed on your machine while you're on his network and ask him if he could turn off that share point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Did you know stealing someone's wireless network is a felony? And that it is very easy to find out who is doing it and exactly where they are?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not only that, but when you're using an unencrypted network, your traffic can be picked up and intercepted. In fact, many hackers set up so-called "honey pots" to attract would-be leeches and attempt to glean passwords, personal information, etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is nothing wrong with your Mac at all. No, it's not a Finder BUG as was also suggested. And no, it's not a Virus either!

You are stealing WiFi from someone and seeing their computer that is on that WiFi network and shared.

Like others have said, stealing WiFi is against the law and could even be dangerous if like CWA stated, it's a Honeypot and there to trap WiFi Leeches.

Yes the Share will not be there once you get your own Internet. Other systems though on YOUR local network might show up if you have any other machine on the network at the time.

On the Honeypot thing CWA mentioned, they are VERY real. I was walking in the downtown area the other day and ran into one. I was using my iPhone on WiFi at the time so could not do as much as I might have to take screen shots and such as proof.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks and sorry for getting everyone all up in arms with my net thing but the net people didnt have an open day til this month and i got my macbook in january

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.